Throat "noises" while playing.....?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mattonstad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mattonstad

mattonstad New Friend

Mar 6, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    Hey all,
    Just a bit of concern with an issue of my playing.
    I've been introduced and very interested in a lot of the Bill Adam routine and aspects of the trumpet, but I find that when I'm playing this way, I seem to making noises with my throat. It sounds like I'm actually articulating in my throat. It's quite distracting to my sound. I have no idea what I'm doing that is causing this. Would anyone know how to prevent this?

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I have a student that does / did this, it was happening because she was tensing her throat, which was coming from a very tense upper body. Once I got her to relax her upper body, it made it easier for her to relax her throat and it stopped.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I personally did this for awhile post heart surgery, at first it was a distraction and then I got some control of it, but it didn't last. Somewhat like a gargle.

4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I had this problem before myself. For me, I think subconsciously I was playing the music and using my throat to control the flow of air. After some long practicing using my diaphram to push air and to control when I stopped and started to play again without tonguing. I was able to get rid of that habbit. It happens without the player knowing they are doing it. Therefore, you need to focus on pushing air from your diaphram all the way through and have good posture when playing/practicing. It is very important to have an open airway. I relate this issue to something simular to snoring, we don't know we are doing it but it happens.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Had the same problem, especially when double-tongueing or in very fast off-beat sequences. Then I started a second round of singing tuition, and my teacher (just look up "Regina Schoerg" on youtube) found that my diaphragm support actually broke down then. So I introduced more diaphragm pressure, and lo! it worked!
    And whenever I'm getting lazy, I sound like a frog alternating croaking with trumpet playing...

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    At least the last two posts above match my personal experience as well and when I finally found a teacher he mentioned it straight away and had me work on diaphragm support and reducing tension in my throat.

--bumblebee

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If the sounds don't effect your playing and don't carry across the stage they can usually be safely ignored. Head position can impact them (for a fun exercise play while laying on your back, but don't get grossed out when spit starts dribbling down your throat during rests). Diaphragmic support is a myth, albeit a useful one.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Several years ago I had a mature age student with this same problem, I had a hard job in convincing him that he was trying too hard and he was actually fighting himself by creating tension in his vocal cords. I gave him a 3" length of 3/4" plastic tube and had him breath through it. See Greg Spence's web site www.mysterytomastery.com.au for a discussion on this, also Breathing and the Valsalva maneuver, musicfor brass.com.

Regards, Stuart.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Interesting -- my martial arts instructors over the years have emphasized breathing from the stomach rather than by raising the chest which seems to match the advice I get for playing trumpet. Perhaps you mean that in both cases the lungs expand in the same way and the difference is more in the posture than the breathing itself?

--bumblebee

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I find I am doing this when playing off beats as well or a complicated passage that has a rest on the down beat... hence a grunt on the down beat ... just plain weird .... but as long as it helps the section keep time ...