Throat problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    And so, when you buzzed did it sound exactly the same as you went higher. I'm betting not. I'm thinking that when you ascend on the mouthpiece, you get a "mosquito" sound that is different from when you play in the middle register.

I don't like to describe physical sensations to players, much less to someone I've never heard play that's describing a problem over the internet! I think your problem is a conceptual one. Playing on the mouthpiece gives you a VERY clear picture of the sound you're creating that is then just amplified through the horn. The sound on the mouthpiece must be constant and solid throughout all registers of the horn. If you're playing a note and it closes off and changes character it tells me a couple of things.

One, you're approaching the upper register differently than the middle. Second, your creating resisitnce by closing off your lips because the muscles around your lips that are supposed to be supporting are weak or underdeveloped. The mouthpiece tells the story very quickly. I'm also going to bet you're playing very sharp in the upper register.

If playing in tune on the mouthpiece didn't help as I understand you to mean, your problems are not going to be solved on a trumpet forum... you need proper guidance from a good teacher so you can develop strong muscles that'll support your embouchure as you ascend. You have to go by what a proper sound on the trumpet in the upper register is. You have to be able to hear it in your head and reproduce it through musical means.

Consult your teacher.

ML

2. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Thanks alot for the advice Manny and John, I'll listen to both of you and arching my tongue and asking my teacher for help. I really appreciate you guys answering

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    You might want to do what opera singers do.
    They practice holding the back of their throat in a yawning position. This open sout the back of the throat and improves sound production. I foind that this approach can open up my trumpet sound too.

Also, I had major throat surgery about 20 years ago where they removed lots of soft tissue from the back of my throat, rather like an internal facelift :oops:
    Anyway this resulted in my having less of the throat collapse problems and i also don't snore now.

Not that I am suggesting surgery, but I thought I would mention it!

4. trptcolin

trptcolin New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I've never heard of this opera singers' exercise before, but after giving it a shot for a couple days, I'm finding it much easier to release tension in my throat/tongue/neck area, even when I'm relatively fatigued (the result being that I can make the sound I hear in my head for a longer period of time). Any idea if this exercise documented in a vocal pedagogy book (or anywhere else)?
    CJ

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I have seen it described three times:

1. On a TV show about singing lessons/singer training.
    2. At an opera singing masterclass.
    3. I heard a chorusmaster telling someone it at a concert.

So, ther emust be something in it (for singers at any rate).

personally the surgery had similar effect.

How long before we get plastic surgery for trumpet players?