Throwing this out there for the designers out there

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I started on Trumpet at the age of 7 (full sized B flat). I never had the problems you speak of, and I would bet most of us on here haven’t either. Habits are learned. If they are coming to you with these habits the root cause is not the trumpet, it is the method by which they have been taught. Trumpet or Cornet, if that is how they are taught, that is how they are going to play. Just my opinion……

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Maybe he/she has no fingers?

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    That would fall under "physical malady".

Tom

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The ergonomic considerations apply to all the brass instruments, especially when we expect a 3/4 size person to play a full sized instrument. (For the trombone, that means quite a few trombonists play with the trombone pointing to their right. Not out of laziness, but because they are asked to play 6th and 7th positions early on.)
    It's hard work holding a trumpet or cornet up and way easier to use the elbows to help support the instrument. My idol was Herb Alpert, and I thought it was cool to hold the horn down like he did, and besides, I was having so much fun playing I wasn't to be bothered with stupid stuff like posture.

Some music schools started beginners on pocket trumpets with mixed results. They are easy to hold, but also put the bell closer to the ear, which then makes things a bit complicated when they move to the full size instruments.

I dunno if there is a solution out there or not.

5. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I've started threads here and elsewhere looking for trumpets with the valve block closer to the player. Obviously people don't see the need for it. One of the reasons I enjoy playing cornet is that they are generally more comfortable to hold. The angle the right hand approaches the valves, is for me, more natural. Show me a trumpet with that characteristic and I'll buy one. Or maybe I'll just keep playing cornets as I like the sound better anyway. :-)

Cornyandy likes this.
  6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks VB mainly for understanding my point of view on this and not shooting me down.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I played in a concert band where a trumpeter lost the use of his left side after a stroke. He was using an old music stand, with a modified desk*, to hold up his trumpet. Worked well for him.

*it may have been a microphone stand and not a music stand. Didn't pay much attention to it.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If the major difference between a trumpet and a cornet is a 360 degree wrap verses a 720 degree wrap, it looks like a cornet, sounds like a cornet, with a trumpet receiver and a water cooled mouthpiece.

Regards, Stuart.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Jason Harrelson devised a system for his Gravity trumpet. It consisted of a rod that attached, via magnets, to the bottom
    of the valve block on one end and attached to a harness on the player's torso on the other end.

Maybe that sort of thing would be helpful?