thumb ring aaugh!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sass, May 11, 2010.

1. sass

sass New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    nelson b.c. canada
    I have a conn vintage 1 and I love it but the thumb ring is hurting me. Even though I don't notice it too much while I am playing I think it is why my thumb nuckle is hurting when I flex it.
    I want to change it to a hook. What would be the best method of doing this?
    scott

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Take it to a good repair shop and see if they can help you.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I agree. Sounds like something that should be "easy" and relatively inexpensive.

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    yep, no big deal for a repair tech. I had a thumb saddle come off of my yamaha a few years back and they only charged like $30 to solder it back on. I your case they're going to need a part, but it still should be a cheap fix.
    I played on my yamaha exclusively for like 15 years which has the saddle on it and I have no problems with the thumb ring on the vintage one. I switch between the 2 horns a lot and never notice any difference.
    Your thumb must be claustrophobic. Maybe you should contact the "Thumb Whisperer"

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    take a hack saw or Dremel to the top of the ring and make it a hook. The only risk is that the first valve tubing gets bent out of round if you are not careful....................

6. sass

sass New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    nelson b.c. canada
    I have thought of that rowuk. Maybe I could put little extenders on it because I think my thumb wants to be higher up than the ring will let it. I will get a repair shop to see what they can do.
    It is silver plated and I don't want to mess up the finish on it. Maybe cuting the ring and adding to it will work.
    Thanks
    scott