Tighten the Corners/Aperture/General Embouchure Struggles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Feb 21, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hugh, I couldn't agree more. Back up your advice with something other than air. I have been playing and teaching for almost 50 years. I am always willing to learn something new and am all ears.

Stupid advice does not get better by poorly associating Ben Franklin with it however. The original quote and for sure it has meaning here: “And now, to conclude, Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, as Poor Richard says, and scarce in that; for, it is true, we may give advice, but we cannot give conduct. However, remember this: They that will not be counseled cannot be helped; and further that, If you will not hear Reason, she will surely rap your knuckles, as Poor Richard says.” It is from Poor Richards Almanac - a fascinating book that has lost no relevance in 240 years...... The part about not hearing REASON applies to your situation quite adequately.

You of course could try to back up your premise. It won't be easy as too many have failed regardless of the air with which the advice was delivered. Corners up get a thumbs down. Embouchure advice without knowing anything about the player is even a bigger insult. It is always the missing context where the weak lose.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Hugh,
    You stated:
    "Bring the lips towards the mouthpiece, raise the corners."
    And then in a later post you stated:
    "Bringing your lips to the mouthpiece is to keep you from smiling, it's to make you say oooh not eee."
    ---
    I am not familiar with what you're describing so I'll chalk it up to my limited knowledge in this area. You sound like you're pretty sure of what you're saying so I bow out until I learn more.
    If possible, can you suggest some sites where I (and maybe others) can learn more about what you are describing?
    Thanks!
    Dr.Mark

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Correct body use means that we bring the trumpet to our "prepared" face. We do not disturb our bodies prepared relaxed state by moving towards the trumpet. This comes from the Alexander Method and is one of the first lessons.

The embouchure is not universal pucker or "oooh". For many, rolling the lips in is a much better solution. For others that does not work either. There are even the eee-ers that do a fine job (don't ask me how). Without context, embouchure advice is just stupid. We change things after analysis.

Blondes need contact lenses. Redheads need blood pressure pills.

4. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
  5. Hugh Anderson

Sep 18, 2011
    ?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. Hugh Anderson

Sep 18, 2011
  7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have been contemplating a reply for 2 days now ... and while I am still working on it I will say this. Every student I have had has been introduced to Rowuk's Circle of Breath. I do this because they have needed it and not just to add something to the lesson.
    Concerning the path the thread has taken. Over the years I have played, I have gotten generic instruction such as "tighten the corners". It has been a point of frustration and frankly a waste of time trying to do these types of things, for me, as it never made sense. I have always felt part of TMs value isn't just in specific instruction but also in dialogue, even a comment such as "hey that's a great question, I wonder why that is" basically stating "you are not alone" is valid and has motivational power ....no?

8. Hugh Anderson

Sep 18, 2011
    "Tighten the corners," often means "Don't puff your cheeks." With beginners, anyway.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The problem with sight and sound unseen and unheard advice over the internet is the very fact that we are essentially blind and deaf. As a visual representation, the "do this" problem. Tom tells Annie to "do this," and Annie can respond in one of two different ways. Both can be argued as being "correct."

[​IMG]

Metamagical Themas, pg 564.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I just tell beginners not to puff their cheeks.