Tighter abs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    You don't need a lot of air volume to make the trumpet play - compared to what is needed on trombone or tuba.
    But what you do need on trumpet is air pressure - more than is needed for playing trombone or tuba.
    That air pressure has to be provided.

Maybe this helps for some (unrelaxed?) people as a visualization for playing trumpet (I don't like it though).
    Fact is: By just relaxation there is not enough air pressure produced to make your lips buzz, especially in somewhat higher frequencies.

Why would you (or anybody) not want to stay as relaxed as possible, no matter what stuff you are going to play?

:huh:

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    There are so many different ways to play that I don't think there is a right or wrong way. When I teach, I try to stay as middle of the road as possible. I think that gives the best chance for success. That doesn't mean that success can't be achieved by many other means.

3. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    :thumbsup:

P.S.: I'm not sure if there are many different ways to really play trumpet.
    But I'm sure there are quite some different ways of visualization when playing trumpet.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The abs argument really is not productive. It is only a very small aspect of a much bigger picture. The problem is, players without range and endurance will not get that stuff by conciously tightening up anything. My teaching experience shows that when the breathing isn't right, players use more pressure on the embouchure and tension with the upper body. In that state, no amount of abs are going to help anything.

The trick is to lower all tension and pressure and build synergy between body, mind and trumpet. When they finally work together, then we can tweak the experience.

This is kind of a "what comes first-the chicken or the egg" situation for players with bad habits. I have had the best luck with students relaxing first and getting the concept of the BIG RELAXED BREATH automated. Second, we synchronize the face, tongue and air and after that, the player is in a position to work out their own fate. As this usually takes some time, it is also a great opportunity to put the skills in musical context. All of the decent players that I have worked with have a synergy between the musical and technical state. This by the way is the reason that isolated tighter abs are good for NOTHING!

I only post relax here because that is the factor missing in just about all the players that post about range and endurance or endurance and range. Until they back off, they simply cannot move forward.

5. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    I totally agree. But who was talking about isolated tighter abs anyway?

:huh:

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Nooooo problem! Just call my lawyers, Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, and they will issue a personal check! All kidding aside, this breathing method is instinct to me now, but I can't say how many band members I have seen through the years with their backs against their chairs in a performance. Besides bad techinque, it simply looks bad. Their band director should know better as mine did 40 years ago.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Whats wrong with having your back against the chair?

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    And Breaeeeth

I think a relaxed breathing technique is the key, however saying this could be a little confusing to beginners who may want to just breath through the horn without any snese of keeping the column of air going. I tend to think of a firm but relaxed area expanding like a life belt round my lower abdomen on the inhale and the exhale pretty much takes care of itself. On chair position I used to fight agains hooking my feet round the chair legs, don't ask me why

Cheers

Andrew