Tightness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dylan1, Sep 4, 2014.

1. dylan1

dylan1 Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2011
    I feel like I tighten up and closing my throat when I extend into the upper register. Does anyone have any tips on loosening up?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't do it.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Better yet:

Stop it...

Ok somebody will then post the Bob Newheart Video Link

4. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Practicing softer will help-spend some time with Clarks Technical Studies, played pp. Same with Colin Flexibility Exercises-the common mistake we often make practicing stuff like that is to power thru with brute force. As a rule it's best not to play more than 80% your maximum volume. Learning to access the upper register with air speed achieved with faster air (aperture and tongue level) instead of overpowering the horn is a very important skill to develop :)

5. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I've heard a well know pedagogue suggest this: 1) Play the passage as written and then play an octave (or two) lower several times. 2)Play the passage again as written trying to obtain the feel you had in the lower register. 3) Repeat many times. :roll:

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  7. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I've had this issue for quite a while. What has helped me is learning to use my tongue to control pitch (Claude Gordon's method). While that does take time it has really helped. As for exercises, I've found that Irons really helps as I believe the root of my problem was really flexibility. For me the lack of flexibility lead to straining to get higher notes.

I'm still very much a work in progress, but it's getting better. PM me if you'd like more information.

Mark

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem is, we learn to play tight to compensate for other evils. If we relax, we play extremely flat in the upper register and have tone without "core".

The solution is not to put a bandaid on the tightness, rather to address the real issues of breathing, body use and sound concept. You have to get a real routine, you have to play the routine daily, you have to take a break from other playing activities that force you to "perforn" regardless of what is good for you.

Optimally, you will have someone to monitor your activity until new habits are built!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    or rather --practicing good fundamentals will allow you to alleviate or eradicate this "feeling" and this "symptom" ---- but (IMHO) it takes time, to learn how to relax, and to have the necessary skills to put it into practice

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Relax and breeeeeath (exhale) through the horn.