Tilting To The Side

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erd402, Dec 21, 2009.

1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    When I play, I tilt my trumpet to the right a little. I've always seen everyone play with the valves being straight up and down, perpendicular to the ground. Someone commented on it looking goofy. Does anyone else do this?

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Lots of people tilt a little, some a lot (look at Phil Smith). What matters is, are you creating tension in your hands, arms, shoulders, neck, etc...and can you move your slides and valves effectively? If the answers are "no" and "yes" respectively, no problem! If you have excess tension, the tilt may be part (but probably not all of) the problem.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I also tilt to the right a bit. It is just easier to push the valves. I tried an aysemmetric MPC a while back and had to turn it slightly to allow for my tilt. I sent it back because it just wasnt for me, no connection to my position of the horn. I guess I never realy noticed that this position is uncommon. Maybe it makes me look cooler? Naw...I just think it makes the valves easier to push. Been doing it forever and now it would feel funny if I held it upright. Best wishes.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The answer is what has the least amount of additional tension. We have a certain amount of work that is necessary to hold the horn up to our face. The angle is important for allowing our finger muscles to do the best job with the least effort. That angle is different for each player and what looky goofy to kids who don't know better should not concern you at all. Your teacher can determine if the angle is too great and if you are cramping other muscles.

What counts is what comes out the front of the horn. If that is goofy, you need to work on something else first..............

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If you are interested in this, I suggest that you consult a teacher of the Alexander Technique who will be able to show you the best way for you to hold the horn.

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I cut part of my middle finger off when I was a sophomore in High School. They sewed it back together but it didn't work quite right. I found that by holding the horn so that the bell is vertical and the valves tilted slightly to the right, it was easier to compensate for the funky finger. Hold the horn however is the most natural. If the only reason to criticize is because it "looks goofy" then this is a great opportunity to learn how to ignore ignorant criticism.