Time for a new rifle scope.

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by TopGun, Dec 3, 2003.

1. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    I think it is time for a new rifle scope but I must say I have been out of the market so long I am not sure what is out there. I will be using it with a .243 and would like to stay around $200. I think a few of you really know your way around the gun shop so I would love to hear a couple tips.

Thanks,
    TG

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Weaver or Bushnell.

I use Leupolds, but they are a lot more. Great optical quality though.

mike

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    The man you need to talk to is Tom Turner. This guy knows his stuff. BIG TIME!

You out there Tom?

TM

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I suppose that it really depends on what you are looking for out of a rifle scope, but you would be hard pressed to find a better scope in the $200 price range than the Leupold's new Rifleman series. If you are looking for the standard 3X9X40 with plain crosshairs, this is the one. Basically, it's a Vari-X II minus a couple of minor bells and whistles, things that a lot of shooters don't use anyway. It got very high marks when it was reviewed by American Rifleman.

5. dauminator3

dauminator3 Pianissimo User

I, a few months ago, purchased a Daisy 2x magnification scope for five bucks for my pellet gun. I can hit a pop can at 50 yards. Watch out olympics...here I come.......

Jared

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yeah! Watch out Annie Oakley! ;)

Seriously though, Leupold decided to put out a quality budget scope using some production cost cutting techniques, yet still using quality parts and optics. The only thing that might be an issue is that it's light gathering properties aren't going to be as good as more expensive scopes, but unless you shoot in low light conditions (which I doubt, otherwise you probably wouldn't limit yourself to a $200 budget) you shouldn't have a problem.

The reviewers from 'The American Rifleman' put it through their standard tests that they put scopes through and they found nothing wrong with it. It was accurate, kept it's zero after repeated firing, was easy to use, and passed all of the hot/cold anti fogging tests. Like I said, they gave it high marks. If and when I ever decide to put together a rifle, this will most likely be the scope that goes on it. I found them online for just under ($189 for a 2X7X33) and just over ($219 for a 3X9X40) your $200 price range.

Oh, I do have a correction to make on my previous post. The reticle is not the standard crosshair. The only reticle that it is offered with is the wide duplex, [​IMG] which is just fine by me. Also, it's only offered in Matte Black. They took away a lot of the options that are normally available with the other models to keep the price down on this one.

In my opinion, it certainly is worth looking into given your budget.

7. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Mr. Gleason,

Thank you very much for the help. I have looked at the Leupolds you are talking about and was suprised by the price but they still seemed to be a nice product.

A friend of mine told me to look at the Semmons 44 Mag. I have not had the chance to look through one yet so could you offer any info on these. Again thanks for your help.

TG

8. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    I will add, I had the chance to look through a Doctor scope and I was shocked at the clarity and brightness. To bad I am not willing to drop $500 or I would have one bad a$$ scope. Have you had a chance to check these out?

TG

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Once we have gotten to the bottom of TopGuns question I want to ask about handguns.

I am interested in a piece for target shooting / protection.

The other day I was in my local gun shop

Smith and Wesson, Glock, Taurus, Sig Sauer (heard some good things) Ruger, Beretta. These jumped out at me

9mm .40 .45?

Give me some 411 here.

I don't want to spend a fortune. The sigs seemed to have a good price.

I just don't know where to start.

TM

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Also wanted to ad I noticed it seems like everyone makes a handgun made out of a composite materials these days. Seems like Glock started it and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. What is the deal here.

Does anyone own a Glock. I know it has a safety mechanism of some sort but what do you think of a lack of a safety switch?

I have heard some good things about these