Time for a valve job?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by habitatchad, Apr 13, 2009.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    You are kidding right, right?

The plating is obviously worn through to the brass. Once that happens slow movement
    and "hang ups" are unavoidable. Those valves need replating. No lapping, polishing
    anything else will ensure that they work without hanging up at the most inappropriate time.

Greg

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes, they look pretty bad, but you never know. I would give my procedure a shot and see what happens. You can always have a valve job done down the road.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    True, you can polsih them up nicely and they could work fine for 99.9% of the time.
    But at any time, because you now have brass on brass in the valve they could hang up.

Not cool if its a concert situation.

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    True, however I doubt that he would be using this horn in a concert situation. With the use of a "heavier" oil such as Holton's Rotary Valve Oil, the likelyhood of "freeze-up" is remote.

Fixing this horn up would make it a nice secondary or practice trumpet, and save on unnecessary expense at the repair shop, not one for concerts or competition. For that you would want a trumpet that is in tip top condition.