Time for Graduate School, and other ramblings...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DubbaCTrumpetMSU, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Well, it's almost time for me to finish my student teaching and be done with my Bachelors degree...I've been accepted to TCU for graduate studies with Dr. Jon Burgess. The audition went well, for those who I had asked questions of. I can't wait to start...we play in Bass Hall in Ft. Worth in February(jazz ensemble), and the Wind Symphony is possibly playing in Carnegie Hall in spring of 2009! :D I might get to mark that off of my 'things to do before I die list' after all!

Anyway...
    On to other things. Can anyone, from experience, post any advice one might have for an upcoming grad student? :dontknow: I'm also wondering how many TM members might live around the Ft. Worth area that might want to play sometime. Since I'll be on my own finally, I'll hopefully be meeting a lot of new people. Also, anyone have any idea of good/great music stores in the area? I might also be looking for the closest Wedge/GR dealer as well...
    :play:
    It's kind of a random post, I know..but I haven't been on here in a while, since I've been INSANELY busy this semester, so I thought I would update a few people on my current situation. I can't wait to start playing even more.

Russ

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    HAHA, congrats and good luck. I am currently in grad school working on a MM. I thought, "Boy, I'll be able to practice like 12 hours a day!!" WRONG. I might be able to put in 4 hours if I pull an all nighter. Hope you are a decent typer and able to elongate your thoughts because you'll (or at least I am) be writing 20 page papers for the next year and a half, every week! HAHA. On the bright side, it is almost the same paper everytime just with a twist....

It's not all that bad, I enjoy it, just wish I had more time for the axe. As far as the other concerns (music store, etc). Got me beat. I used to live in Lubbock and Ft. Hood, but never around your neck of the woods.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Russ,

Congrats on the TCU acceptance, keep up the great work.

How is that Eclipse working out for you?

Take care,

Chuck

4. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks guys....20 page papers...ah, the magic of it all...*choke*. Anyway...Chuck..the horn is working out wonderfully. Jazz/lead wise, its a monster with my new Wedge...I just need to find a Wedge that will work for legit. I am playing on my GR 66C* still, but it just doesn't fit. I'm hoping to find a Wedge dealer soon, or maybe just suck it up and order a few tops and send the ones I don't want back. I'll have to see how it goes. Anyway, I'm excited. We are playing in Bass Hall in Ft. Worth in February with the jazz ensemble, so I'm just waiting to get the music for it so I can practice.

Can't wait to get started!!

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Russ, congrats on TCU accepting you!

6. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks Richard...how are things going? It's been a while since I've been around here, with student teaching and all...

Russ

7. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Good luck! Graduate school is a wonderful time to invest in yourself as a player...work hard, and the payoff is unbelievable.

8. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Louie,
    That's exactly what I am hoping to do! I can't wait to get started, and I think the performance opportunities will be great. Any other advice, other than practice my brains out? :)

9. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Russ -

The Wedge is carried at Austin Winds - Welcome to Destino Trumpets - your source for professional Brass instruments and accessories.
    Be worth the drive to see Austin - check out their horns, check out the mouthpieces, check out the restaurants, music and nightlife in Austin too. Nice city.

GR is carried at David's Instruments in Carrolton - not too far from Ft. Worth - small shop -

David's Instrument Repair - Dallas Pro Shop
    David's Instruments ©2007
    1215 S. Broadway
    Carrollton, Texas 75006
    Telephone: 972-242-7707

Good luck - and keep us posted on when you are playing - Bass Hall is just great.

Bob Good

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Russ--

Congrats! Are you starting in January? Don't stress--TCU is pretty laid back. Shoot me a Facebook message if you have any questions.

-Jimi