Time Off From Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 15, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    How true or false is it when people say any time off from trumpet is the death of a trumpet player?

2. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    If that was true, there'd be no such thing as a comeback player. Sure it'd help not having time off but I've seen many a great comeback player. So completely false in my opinion. :-)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My wife hasn't buried me yet, and I'm not yet selling my brass instruments. First lapse was about 45 years, second lapse about a year following heart and dental issues, and now I'm nearing a month involving hearing issues which is becoming critical if I don't recover my hearing by September when I've planned to resume tutoring. Third appointment with Otolaryngologist tomorrow morning.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Some time off is good, to allow recovery. But think of the Olympians - time off training = No Medals - below par performance. It is up to you and your goals.

A lot of people run and enjoy it, not all win Gold Medals. But to be the best, practice and pushing with the best coach or mentor is paramount.

Comebacks are great, but continual playing is better! Life's choices.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Like lifting weights, use it or loose it. Muscle memory, strength, endurance:oops:

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I took 19 years off.... uh oh.

7. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Time off can be the death of a trumper player, it depends how long you are taking... Like Buck said, if you don't use it you can start to loose it and it'll just get worse and worse the more time off you take. THEN if you come back you lost some of your ability and getting frustrated I could see it leading to someone putting their trumpet on the shelf.

BUT a trumpet player can always get resurected with proper patience and practice! (Like myself...)

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    This time I lost two or three notes off my upper register, which wasn't all that spectacular to begin with( first C above the staff, and possibly a D occassionally):oops:

9. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Been off the Horns about 7 months. Teeth problems/low back etc. Hope to start back soon. Right back to long tones and Arban 1&II books with First Clark Studies by Carl Fisher.

Oh the agony of it all. Just the way the ball of life bounces sometimes. HaHa

10. chierholzer

chierholzer New Friend

May 31, 2012
    Chicago
    I have taken time off on 2 occasions. 1-right after I graduated college, player burn out.(2 years), 2-Recently moved to a new area with a new job, new schedule, 3 kids etc. took 3 years off. each time I came back just fine.