TIme to Practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I am just curious as to how everyone finds/found time to practice in college. I go to class everyday from 8-3 with only one short break. I then teach young students from 3:30-8 or so....I do my home work and reading and try to practice a little before it gets too late and I start bugging the others in my apt. Any ideas?

Josh Ritchie

2. DL TPT

DL TPT New Friend

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    When I was in college I had a 2 hr commute to and from the university, worked full time nights and was married with 3 small children. I spent a great deal of time buzzing on the mpc during the commute. It is not the same as regular practice but I got a lot of MPC time in. When I did get the actual time on the horn (less than 1hr per day) things really clicked. I attribute the success to all the buzzing time. It may not work for your situation but it got me through my undergrad performance degree.

3. Magnusverdixon

Magnusverdixon Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Get a practice mute; hit it for twenty minute spurts versus a two hour session; maybe before you leave in the morning; at night; hit it more on saturdays and sundays etc. Get a Yamaha Silent Brass System or a Whispa Mute ... I have both.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    If those young students are trumpet players, play along with them. Call and response. It will give them a good role model, and it will get you some playing time on the horn.
    Wilmer

5. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Wilmer is right on the money. Keeping in touch with basics by playing with young people helps a lot. Practice involves some sacrifice. Getting up early, grabbing a quick lunch, giving youself a break between classes or students are all possibilities. Decide how much you are actually going to practice and then stick to it. Don't do more or less. Make the time. Where there's a will there is a way.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Try finding time to practice once you work a job and have a family! :shock:

Enjoy this time in your life!

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Do what Wilmer said. I play along with my students, too. It's great on many, many levels. Ever play Bb trumpet with a horn player or sax player or flutes? woo-hoo! Transposition practice! Or grab the picc and play piccolo with flutes. Never tried that, though... (No cheating and using the Eb with saxes!)

Maybe try to get to the music building early in the am...like 7 or so? Sounds horrid, I know, but if that's when you have time, then that's what you do.

8. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I do play with all of my students, but is that really considered practice. I understand it is face time, but will it help build me as a player? Thanks for all of the ideas!
    Josh Ritchie

9. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    When I was in grad school at North Texas, the music building was open 24/7
    and I would stop in there at 2 or 3 in the morning sometimes after my latin gig in Dallas and there would be students practicing at all hours of the day and night . I don't think that is the case anymore but I bet that the practice rooms are open late at night so maybe you could wind down the day with a good "productive" practice session . I think that , for me anyway , practicing late at night is better than early in the morning.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    the initial part of my lessons is long tones and slurs. I play first and the student imitates. We do not have to talk about big sound, posture, embouchure or breathing, they do it automatically AND I get a chance to play too!
    When we trade rolls, they play first. When they don't breath deeply, I imitate that (a bit exagerated) and they notice without me having to point it out.
    I have a pocket trumpet and silent brass for the road.