TIme to Practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jan 23, 2007.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York

Not to the extent that 5 hours a day of fundamentals and etudes will, but it will improve your endurance, consistency, performing skills, and if you use a different key horn, transposition. Add in trying to model musicianship, and you will be working a great deal on some good things without really "working" on them.

Example: I just did bunch of scales, concentrating on good sound, playing them musically, listening to tune each and every note, trying to produce a great sounding legato. We did scales in quarter notes. 7 of them. With accompaniment. So, in a sense, I did a whole bunch of work on fundamentals, along with my 8th grade sax players. Pushing them to transpose and think about key. Modelling good sound and breathing, musical performance on something as seemingly mindless as scales.

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    If you start class at 8, then why not get up early enough to practice an hour before? Using that hour early in the morning will set you up for the day (thats what I've found).

If you find the idea of getting up ealier unappealing, consider the following:

Though it is important to get a good nights sleep, remember, 8 hours of sleep a night is necissarily the proper amount one should strive for. Sleep researchers discovered that 8 hours is the average(There are different stages of sleep that you go through over the night and you may be in your deepest stage within 8 hours)

They suggest waking up an hour earlier or a hour later (so 7 hours or 9 hours). You may think that getting up that hour earlier will make you groggier, but in fact, you will be groggier if you gat up after 8 hours (if you are wired that way).

You're in college right? you should be used to all nighters ;-)

It's like I've been told, "While you're sleeping, someone else is practicing". Depressing I know.

Just my opinion

Eric

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I do the same thing with long tones, the Bai Lin book and Clarke Studies.

Tptr 1 is right the transposition practice is great, one of my favorite things to do is play C trumpet with beginning students, so they can't watch my fingerings. (not original to me got it from my clarinet playing brother who use A clarinet as his teaching horn for that reason.) When modeling for students always think about the sound, making music and perfect rhythm. If we want perfect rhythm from our students, we had better model it.

4. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I just want to echo what others here have said about going in early. I am attending school again and now have a family. I have found that by going in and practicing an hour before class not only helps my chops warm up for the day but my ears as well(Ear Training is my early class).

5. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    here's another option (not as short term)

next semester- don't take so many credits. What's your hurry to graduate? Carefully weigh your options...

hmmm.
    -Kelly

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    It's funny that I just now saw this post, because I just ordered a Yamaha Silent Brass system about ten minuets ago!

I've been having the same problem as you, I have classes from 8:00 to 3:00 and 5:00 to 9:00 most days, I have to eat and do homework sometime! So this leaves my no time to practice. I've only gotten to practice once this week and that was by skipping out on lunch!

I figure with the Silent Brass system I can play in my room for 15 to 20 mins in between each class, it's just not enough time to run down to the practice room for a few mins!

7. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    The money involved in paying for another 1 to 3 semesters of tuition.

8. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    Yes, money is a real reason.... won't argue there.

I don't know the situation but here's some more food for thought: Is the (hypothetical) student a performance major? Is the primary reason (for the student to go to school) to earn a college degree, i.e. a requirement for a job -or- is the student attending school to learn how to play the trumpet? There is a combination of both reasons in each student; but which one is the true priority? The answer will probably change depending on the student. I still hold that this question of priorities is one that all college students should answer for themselves. The question was definitely asked of me during my undergraduate.

The individual’s answer will provide the framework in which to structure their practice schedule. If you go to school to become a better trumpeter - you MUST practice - a lot.

But then again, that could be why it took me so long to finish my degrees?!?!

-Kelly

9. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    Josh-

hey man ... i'm a UNT alum. Say hello to Keith J. and Mike S. if you run into them:) good practicing.

-Kelly

10. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Oops! I dont mean to decieve anybody, I do not attend UNT, I am from the area we in texas refer to as North Texas. I actually attend a university about 1.5 hours north of UNT. I go down regularly and attend master classes though. In fact I just bought a C Trumpet from Keith Johnson in November when Micheal Sachs was there. The school I go to has two practice rooms for 120 music majors that close at 9pm every night and are closed on weekends. I try to get in b4 9 because I can stay as late as I want...they just lock the doors so you cant get in. I really appreciate the advice, kinda makes me think a little.
    Josh