TIme to Practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Here is another question to throw in here...I am going through an embouchure change...everything has really fallen into place easier than I though it would, everything except articulation that is. It seems now when I articulate it is very airy and I often crack the pitch. Everyonce in awhile I will get a nice crisp attack, but I cant put my finger on exactly what I did right. Any thoughts on an efective work out for articulation (Single, db, and trpl) Or what I might try to get it cleaner?
    Josh Ritchie

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Out of interest - are you a member of ITG?
    Jens Lindemann has a few words to say about this subject in the latest Journal.
    Basically, as has already been said, if you think it is hard now - wait until you are working all day, travelling for a couple of hours to get to work by 8am, not getting home until midnight etc.

If you are serious about your playing, you will find a way to fit the time in. If you are finishing your teaching by 8pm - what are you doing afterwards?
    On a Monday morning I start teaching at 8.15am. The school is usually only 20 minutes from home but the traffic is so bad that if I leave any later than 7.10 I won't make it there in time. I leave at 7, get there by 7.25 then have practice time (enough time for a decent warm up and a daily fundamentals routine) until 8.15. Compared to the Director of Music at the school I get there late - he is usually in the building by 6!
    (his reasoning is that if he is at school he will work, whilst if he is at home he will be distracted by his wife)
    I don't finish teaching until 9pm (I have a lunch break, it's not completely solid) and frequently find that I stay in my teaching room until 9.30/10pm - especially if I have a major concert or recital coming up.
    If you want to improve, you will find the time.

Last Monday I had a couple of hours bonus time - there is a lot of illness around and I had five students in a row who were absent from their lessons.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    One of the things I learned to help articulation is using a "pooh" attack, softly in the middle/low range; so does flutter tonguing practice.

Try this during your warm-up/fundamentals session: 5-10 soft "pooh" attacks per pitch, beginning on 2nd line G, p-mp, quarter notes, at mm=about 60 or so. Make the last one on each pitch longer. Continue down chromatically to low F#. Takes a while. During your regular practice session, go to the syncopation studies in your Arban book and flutter tongue the longer notes or the first notes in the measure. I like the 1/8th -2 1/16th note combination studies for this.

You can also practice your articulation away from the horn. This is something Frank Kaderabek recommended during his presentation at ITG last year. While walking to class, while driving in/back home, etc. He got that from a book on Clarke, apparantly.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Let's do this backwards -- 60 minutes = 1 hour, 24 hours = 1 Day, 7 days = 1 week: this adds up to 10080 minutes or 168 hours per week potential practice time. Figure out how many minutes (or hours) you wish to practice during this time, and subrtact that from 10080 (or 168). There will still be quite a bit of time left over for school, work, travel, sleep, kissing french horn players and watching professional wrestling on TV. If practice is a priority, then put it at the top of your time management list, and block it out, fitting other stuff around it.

As to tonguing, having made the tongue plenty strong (by kissing french horn players, for example) the trick then, is to relax the tongue while tonguing.

Have fun!

5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Lol, their are some nice girl frech horn players in my school. :cool::cool::cool:

6. k0elw

k0elw Guest

Class from 8-3 everyday (even with an hour out for lunch)
    sounds like you carry a 30 hour class load; this can't
    be right. If you are carrying a 15 hour class load there should
    be at least 2 one hour holes a day to practice between 8-3.
    Do you have access to practice rooms? As a music ed
    major at Indiana University in the late 60s I managed to
    get in at least 4 hours a day. Get up earlier; log your time use
    in 15 minute increments. You can find time; aside from longevity
    we all have the same amount alloted to us.

There is a substantial amount of "practicing" that can be productive
    away from the horn. Just as basketball players who spend time
    visualizing the perfect shot realize improved performance; we can visualize a perfect attack, a perfect opening to the Haydn,
    we can mentally visualize the sound of a perfectly in tune octave,
    or 5th, a sonorous resonant sound at every dynamic level. Try it.
    If you can't imagine it; you probably can't execute it.
    Time for this is easily found; and makes practice time with the
    horn more productive.

Most of my playing mistakes are mental. Mr. William Adam at
    Indiana University concluded that playing the trumpet was
    90% mental, leaving the remainder to chops and air.

Ellis, (for Professor Harold Hill)

7. Principaltrumpet

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I have one lunch break on thursdays that I practice in. The way our university works there are classes I am in for 3 hours a week that I only get one hour credit for. i.e. Jazz band, symphonic band and our wind ensemble. It is pretty gay, ask dubbaCtrumpet. I have figured out ways to fit practice in alot since you guys have started giving ideas. But I think I figured out my number one problem is I am dating a clarinet player and there arent any cute french horn players at our school.

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Thats always a problem.. Seriously though, get a practice mute. Up early, all weekend.

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    hmmm...I married a clarinettist...

10. Principaltrumpet

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    This really put things in to perspective. I think this may have been one of those little maturuty things...you learn as you mature. I was making myself busier than I really am. Today (a normal day) I have managed to work in 4 hours of actual practice time and it is only 7:30pm. Thanks to everyone for the help, TM seems to be a wake up call for me more and more often.
    Joshua Ritchie