Time to start playing again........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oliruss89, Feb 14, 2012.

1. oliruss89

oliruss89 New Friend

Jan 30, 2012
    Hi all, first post on here which I guess is appropriate as havent played my trumpet for probably 3 years!

Basically I came to uni about 4 years ago and rarely picked it up since. Recently broke up with gf so decided what better day is there to bring the trumpet back into my life! However as I'm sure you expect, it's seen better days. I'm still a student so am very much not keen on the idea of taking it to a shop and blowing lots of cash on restoring what is not a particularly expensive bit of kit.

So I'm wondering what is the best way to get on the valves n slides up nd running smoothly as they should be? One of the valves is incredibly sticky, the other two aren't great. All of the slides move but not quick enough at all. (NB this is all after oiling/greasing)

Years ago a my teacher told me to use brasso on slides which did indeed work. However my current trumpet is silver plated.... only the main tuning slide actually looks 'silver' tho (not sure if this is due to being filthy or not, tho the others i would guess look more like laquer) which would i guess suggest use silver polish on this slide and brasso on the others. How does this sound?

I'll give it a luke warm soapy bath as well. Anyone else have any other tips, especially for the valvces?

Thanks for any help, really can't wait to start playing again

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I would suggest a good cleaning. If everything moves, this could be all it needs. I've written a paper on trumpet cleaning I would be glad to send to you. You can contact me through my web site.

3. oliruss89

oliruss89 New Friend

Jan 30, 2012
    Cheers, have sent you an e-mail regarding your paper. Any other tips anyone?

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Take it entirely apart, clean everything with soap and water like you would do with dishes, except the valve bodies, use a snake brush with the slides while they're immersed in the soapy water. Use soapy water on valve bodies too but don't immerse them. Rinse over and over, dry thoroughly, put everything back together with plenty of slide grease for all slides (even the ones that don't move) and plenty of oil for the valves. That should take care of the biggest stuff. If there is still problems that affect playability, get back to the forum and see what the tech contributors can tell you.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Cleaning as what was said above .. I am sure Bob's advice will be dead on correct.
    You can have it chemically cleaned at a shop for around $60-75 and they will usually check things out and do minor adjustments included in the price. Don't forget to clean your mouthpiece as well with one of those little tapered brushes as well.
    I would also reccomend the Vizzutti Book 1 played softly to help get your chops back in shape. There is a pretty good warm-up routine explained in the book.