Timing, again!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jan 27, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi
    I am having a little dificulty with my timing and coming in after a rest....heres my problem, say that the next note to play is on the second beat of a bar. Can you actually count to two and still hit the note or will you have missed it? taping foot same thought, if you wait for your foot to hit the floor and play have you missed it with the delay of thought process? The result is i actually play too early because i dont beleive that i can count to two and play on the beat. i know others will have the same issue so suggestions would be most welcome.

2. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I suggest practicing with a metronome. Start slowly and gradually increase. You should develop a feel for timing.

One trick I use when I'm having a difficult time reading a new piece is to play on the rests first then substitute the note I played with a rest. For example, if the measure starts with an eighth note rest and has a note on the "and" of the first beat, I'll play two eighth notes to get a feel for timing. When I feel the timing correctly, I'll rest on the first eighth and play on the second.

Hope that helps.

3. T Bone

T Bone New Friend

Jan 17, 2013
    Bonnie Scotland
    I agree: playing with a metronome, playing along with someone or something else (if you can) are great ways to develop a "feel" for timing that you can internalise over time.

My first teacher always filled rests as the word "and", almost as if preparing for the next note. I found it really useful and to this day I still hear "and" in my head when there is a rest, and I'm ready to hit the next note right after!

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Listen to music. Clap along. Do rhythm exercises, clapping or tapping your leg.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I still believe a foot tap is a lot more economical than a metronome. It is an internal biometric system that coordinates closest with the performer. I would practice hitting the note on your foot tap at beat 2, rather than depending on a cold wooden box with a swizzle stick with a pineapple wedge on top; or a smart phone app, whose program takes over your phone, goes into your personal phone directory, and sends all this information out to viola players all over the world! No... I trust my bio-derived, mother given foot to keep me on rhythm. Sure glad my mommy didn't practice rhythm!

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'M not sure I understand your question. If you're asking how to come in on the second beat of a measure, then there is no way you can count 1,2 then attack and be on the beat. You will be late, it's inevitable. You must count 1 and 2 is your attack, it has to be prepared before that beat. If you want to come off beat, then you will count2 then attack but you should still be ready before counting 2.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Subdividing is very helpful. The first beat has a downbeat (1) and an upbeat (& (and)). Begin in the measure before - in 4/4 and count 1 and 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2... Start your in breath on 1, continue on the & following with your attack on 2. Do this slowly and increase as you practice. It gets easier and become second nature with lots of practice.

When you sing along with a recorded song, can you begin when the singer does? If so, then the same concept translates to playing.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you are still having issues, you need a metronome to help you. The foot tapping on two and the playing of the note are simultaneous. Anything else is a missed entrance, early or late.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Be sure to factor in the space between the notes, and like everyone else has said, know where the beats are.

Have fun!

10. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Veery I believe has the simplest method to the timing issue. Way back in the day I would have that issue, especially when playing Lating music since they tend to just fill into the harmony on the song at some very odd timing intervals with some rest in parts that don't come natural to a classically trained player. So if you learn to sing it, you can learn to play it. Think of how dance choreagraphers talk when teaching their classes. Always tapping and talking their skit skat chat attacks to the beat of the music. A metronome is great, but it is nothing compared to the timing your mind develops when playing. You will adapt the ability to lead the count, lag the count or in normal cases, play on the count. Wait till you start playing some blues. Timing will be what you blend in, or will change on you midrift.

Short story; I grew up in South LA where we had a majority mix of Latinos and blacks. In school I'd play double dutch jump rope with my classmates and remember calling out a sort of funny cadences. It would speed up and slow down in rythm and the beat was ever changing. It sort of developed a natural sense of timing for me. Good luck and most importantly have fun. Don't let frustration overwhelm you.