Tim's Trumpet Place - New Trumpet Related Blog

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shofar-blast, Oct 30, 2011.

1. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hey all you trumpet people. I've started a trumpet related blog and I want to invite everyone to stop by. Among other things, I'm blogging about my Arban Adventure--my experiences, thoughts, and insights as I work my way through Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet. I used it a lot in college but that was a long time ago and now it's time to buckle down and get my embouchure back in shape and see what I can achieve. :play: It's only been a few weeks but I can already see progress.

TimsTrumpetPlace

Come by and check it our. Leave a comment and share your thoughts.

Maui_Jimmy likes this.
  2. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    Cool Site! Thanks!

Also, welcome to TM :play:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hey Maui_Jimmy,

Thanks. Glad you like the site. Thanks for the welcome.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Very nice looking site, lots of meat there!! great job!

5. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hey BigDub,

Thanks. I'm glad you like the site. I am hoping to produce content that is worthwhile and not just fluff. Several years back I bought an anthology of 50 years of brass related articles from "The Instrumentalist." I don't know if it is still being published but it was a great periodical specifically designed for music educators. The articles were written by some amazing musicians. There are also some good interviews of people like Maurice Andre and Dizzy Gillespie and more. I plan to share information from this anthology in addition to other content.

If anyone has other ideas for good content I would love to hear them. Also, if anyone wanted to write a guest post I would be glad to consider it for the blog.

Thanks again. Happy trumpeting.

6. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I think it was my college, trumpet teacher who said it like this: "If you're going to make a mistake, make it a good one." He was an incredible performer. I remember seeing him make a mistake (cracked note or something small) one time; his response was just a raised eyebrow, as if to say, "how did that happen?"

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    He wanted to hear you so it could be corrected, number one, but if you are tentative and timid, even the right notes can sound wrong!

8. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    You are right--even the right notes can sound wrong. The presentation is important. It makes a lot of sense. They say, 75%, or more of our communication is nonverbal and a picture is worth a thousand words. So, it would follow that how you present yourself when playing is an important factor. The message I learned from the quote is to play with confidence. Many people may not even notice a small mistake, especially if you appear confident. Also, if you are confident you have a better chance of recovering from a mistake with some grace. Another important reason to play with confidence is you are more likely to miss more challenging passages when you play them timidly.

When you get right down to it, there are many good reasons to play with confidence.

9. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Greetings fellow trumpet lovers. :D

Just wanted to let you all know I have taken up the challenge to work my way through Arban and blog about my experiences. Like many people, I used Arban some in college but I wasn't as disciplined back then and I didn't take advantage of the opportunity I had to reach my full potential. Come on over and check it out. Be sure to leave a comment.

Here is a site dedicated to My Arban Adventure -- arban.TimsTrumpetPlace.com

You can also get there from my blog TimsTrumpetPlace.com

Here are some of the posts:

My Arban Adventure Method and Plan - TimsTrumpetPlace

My Arban Adventure Week 1 - TimsTrumpetPlace

My Arban Adventure Week 2a - TimsTrumpetPlace

My Arban Adventure Week 2b - TimsTrumpetPlace

Happy trumpeting.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Wow, Tim. I really enjoy the site. You have some great insights into your playing, and it's laid out very well. I'm going to keep this in my Favorites. Splendid job, really.