Tin like sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decentplayer, May 17, 2008.

1. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    When playing my flugelhorn, on the upper register, I notice a tin-like vibration sound. What is this?? Is there anything I can do for it?

2. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I have the same problem when I play low on my trumpet after playing a lot of high stuff. To me it seems like I'm playing too sharp and the vibrations go crazy and shake the bell because the pitch is not right for the length.

Not sure if this is the same cause for your vibrations in high notes though (just my 2 cents).

3. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Often times if you are playing a horn that has an adjustable third slide ring or if it has a lyre attachment (like on many flugelhorns), the screw can vibrate loose while playing. If this is the case simply tighten the screw all the way. When it vabrates loose it sounds like metal buzzing.
    JR

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Loose fillings?

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Sometimes I can feel a second vibration in my chops, and sometimes there is one in my throat. The first I can hear in my sound, but the throat buzz I cannot, unless hearing it through my skull masks my ability to hear it come through the horn.

You can always just remove the lyre screw.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It could also very well be a brace that has come loose.

You may not even be able to see it clearly, but it will vibrate at certain pitches.

-cw-

7. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Hm, me too. I was a bit worried about it, thinking I was actually vocalizing "eeh" when I would increase pitch. Not something I remember from before, and it "appears" to have gone away.

8. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I did tighten the lyre screw. It seems to help some. Also, I think that when I play, I hear the window or something vibrating from the sound itself. So, as long as I know what it is. Thanks for all who responded.