Tine Helseth's vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kehaulani, May 9, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Breathing is initiated by inhalation. The diaphragm is key to this (intercostals are also involved). This creates negative pressure and air flows form the atmospheric pressure to a lower pressure caused by volume expansion of the lung. Air flow is not active, it is passive and obeys the laws of physics, flowing in the direction of lower pressure. So breathing is initiated by the diaphragm doing its thing. Abdominal muscles are more active in the exhalation phase. Contracting abdominal muscles forces the chitlins (guts) up against the diaphragm, restricting its movement.

This is supported by an excellent reference I use for background medical information. Here is a link to the discussion as to the diaphragm: Medscape: Medscape Access

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    WHAT!! :-o ........oh wait, vibrat -O ...........ok for a second there I thought this TM thread hit an all time low......

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I occasionally use a/an diaphragm/abdominal vibrato when I want a halting, sort of huhhuhhuhh kind of sound, like what was mentioned in Dean_O's post #15 about flautists. It modulates the volume, rather than the pitch, which hand and lip vibratos do. Clifford Brown used it once in a while, and so did Lee Morgan. I find the sound of the lip vibrato a bit too sappy, so it is reserved for when that almost severe wahwahwah would be appropriate. Most of the time I use the hand vibrato; it's the easiest to control and vary, and the sound is smoother, less extreme than the lip vibrato. I would also take issue with Scott Barnard's comment about it being tiring; I find the lip vibrato to be tiring instead.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I just did a diaphragm/abdominal vibrato (It's been a long time), and I have to add that closing the throat is half of this combination. It's as if you were breathing against a mirror to fog it up, only doing it rhythmically.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Back in the baroque era it was known as "huffing."

6. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran

it's all in the batteries........:evil:

7. mickeyf

mickeyf New Friend

Mar 3, 2014
    I have tuned in late here, but FWIW I pretty much exclusively use abdominal/diaphragm vibrato. Mind you, a) I am an amateur, b) I pretty much play only for my own enjoyment, not with others (that's due to logistics and practicality rather than desire) and c) I play my mellophone more than cornet these days. So how that compares to all you real trumpet players I have no idea.

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    On the other hand?

Having just watched Doc play McCarther park, its clear he used hand vibrato? so forget what i said .

Dean_0

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Homebilly,
    You stated:
    "it's all in the batteries.....
    ---
    I wonder what Steely Dan would say about that?
    Dr.Mark

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... yes.... life in the days before we had gasoline!