tiny bubbles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stricd, Jan 17, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There isn't much of anything else that it could be. If the manufacturers would use gold brass for leadpipes there would be no rot issues. If it bothers you, you need a new leadpipe. If not 10 years or more could be left on the horn before you have serious holes.

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    stricd,

You may have several more years of playing, but the bubbles will persist and probably worsen. However, if you really like your Getzen cornet a leadpipe replacement is possible. Now is the time to look at the options for replacement by consulting with those recommended here who do quality leadpipe replacement and silverplate restoration.

Whether you wait for it to get worse, decide to replace the leadpipe or buy another horn is a decision you will have to make eventually. If you really like your Getzen cornet the repair would probably be worth it to you. If you tried to trade or sell it, the red rot would have to be addressed anyway and it would likely affect the value downward.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. stricd

stricd New Friend

Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks to all - guess I'll be looking into a new lead pipe, as it is a great horn and the bubbling (and its significance) does bug me.

4. TrumpX

TrumpX Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2012
    Brazil
    Hello guys, yesterday got a trumpet YTR 9335VS, and looking closely I realized that he has two spots and a few small bubbles of approximately 1 mm, does anyone have experience of how I can remove these bubbles?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Get the horn replated.

That isn't red rot. It is the plating not being properly bonded.