Tiny, tiny dents in the trumpet bell?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by 12erlgro, Jan 4, 2011.

1. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    No. Sometimes you can see the joins where the bell has been formed. Not all the time.

I have a Bach Strad that has a series of small dents running up the bell. Too small to really notice, but they are there. When I closely inspected it I noted they are alternatively slightly offset at each dent. Not all in a straight line, an offset straight line.

If you search the thread on "How to make a trumpet" you will see the crimping process of the bell. These are the root of my small dents. I initially thought they were from the case. I also get tiny dents from mute use etc. no problems.

Tiny pings Affect the sound - no.

If you have any big dents in the curve of the bell tube or a dent to the flair, they can cause an issue, but I have also seen some good players pick up dented horns, and sound good.
    (Don't forget the horn should be in your hand, or in the case...do not leave it laying around on chairs etc)
    Cheers

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Does it sound or feel different to you?

Dents dont usually effect the sound unless there huge and in important locations like the lead pipe

4. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

5. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    but neh it wont effect it really in anyway especially as there so small :)

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    even moderate sized dents in the bell don't change the sound. The most critical part of the horn system for dents is the players lips, then the shank of the mouthpiece then the leadpipe. A trumpet works because it does NOT follow horn theory perfectly. The small imperfections/deviations are necessary.

9. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    I'm sure that all the masters of trumpet have dings and little dents in their horns, if nothing else, just through frequent usage.

However, I'm really surprised that none of the horn manufacturers haven't already followed the lead of Fender Guitars. Their "Road Worn" series of guitars come to the purchaser pre-scratched, pre-dinged, pre-abused and pre-dented . . . all at an extra cost to the buyer for bragging rights. :roll:

http://www.fender.com/products/roadworn/models.php?prodNo=013121

So, show off yours dents. They're your badge of honor. :play: