Tip for cleaning the tarnish off of the slides.., and valves.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by applianceguy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Scratch remover/repair for automotive paint. It comes in a squeeze bottle, and resembles automotive wax. You will be amazed!!! Be careful not to get it on the lacquer, as I wouldn't trust it on the finish..., and only use this while giving the complete horn a cleaning....,to give it a good rinsing off.

The tarnish on the slides rubs right off.., almost effortlessly!! I used it on the valves, too.,,, and voila!!

BE CAREFUL TO KEEP IT OFF THE LACQUER!!! ....,,,and you will be AMAZED!!!

:D

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If it damages lacquer, and takes tarnish off slides, then it will be removing material from the valves. I don't recommend using it on the valves. Removing material should ONLY be done by a professional, as you can really mess up your horn this way.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Are we speaking about the removal of tarnish or varnish on the valves?

OLDLOU>>

4. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    It is called "Scratch Doctor" by Nu-finish and it's intended use is for the clear coat finish on automobiles. It is also recommended to remove "haze" that forms on chrome.., and oxidized surfaces. "It is NOT an abrasive cleaner ,like "Brass-O"..,, so I repeat..., I use it only on the un-finished, bare metal, moving parts..., NOT ON THE LACQUER!!!

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It sounds like a good product. I'll first try it on some older horns. I don't particularly like Brasso.

6. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Just out out of curiosity, why did you bother cleaning the discoloration off of your tuning slides? Aesthetics?

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Wow. Looks like it works well. I hate the darkish look that inner slides take on so this might be an answer. By the way, I used NuFinish polish(or protectant or whatever it is called) on my raw brass Super when I had it and it worked well.

8. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Any other NuFinish users? What's your best raw brass approach?

9. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    As a repair technician, I am from an era where scheduled preventative maintenance is key to having something last a long time.., and to have it work well, when you need it. The "B" USA whorn gets a scheduled PM every Friday, whether it needs it or not. Complete tear down, soaked in luke warm soapy water, tuning slides and valves cleaned, snaked out, allowed to dry completely before re-oiling, re-greasing and re-assembling.

Call me OCD, but when I play that der Fruschuitz (or whatever that one is called that I posted on the pics. above this post) the valves have to be smokin' fast,to triple tongue that one. A clean well oiled machine just performs sooooo much better!!

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo07/30/e6/5aa5be38fbd3__1338749435000.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012