Tip for cleaning the tarnish off of the slides.., and valves.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by applianceguy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Brasso has amonia in it, Patkins. with ammunition brass it tends to weaken it and isn't recommended for cleaning cases.Not sure of the composition of horn brass, but if it's similar, I don't think I'd use Brasso for sure:oops:

2. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I don't remember anyone saying to use Brass-O???

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Have you ever tried the "Blitzcloth" from Sam Ash? Works very well in removing the tarnish from valve ports and tuning slides.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I second the Blitz cloth. I've used it for years and it does just as good as what was pictured. It does not harm lacquer, and is environmentally safe. It can be a little messy on the hands. It's less than $8 and can be used anywhere.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am always concerned about toxicity when using non-musical instrument products on a horn attached to my face. The normal disclaimer "non toxic when used as described in the instructions" doesn't tell us much. I mean who buzzes on car lacquer?

In any case, make sure that you rinse the horn REALLY WELL before reuse.

I think threads like this are really useful if we get the whole story. The rest of the story can be found here:

http://www.nufinish.com.au/pdfs/MSDS Nu Finish Scratch Doctor.pdf

MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) are the standard source for info like this. I think that manufacturers are required to publish them.

6. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Have you ever wanted to kiss your car?? LOL! Thanks for the material safety data sheet info there , rowuk ! I see that home depot has the blitzcloth in liquid form for $6.95, so I probably am going to use that instead of a car polish, as it is indeed safer to put on/near the mouth area. That is what is good about these forums, is discussion, and sharing information and experiences. I did not clean the mouthpiece with it, so if I do turn blue, it is like you say, I am not breathing.

Thanks, everyone.., and I am going to get some safer/greener cleaner.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I get cleaning slides ... but valves? Seems to me they should be clean from regular use and oiling. From what I have read here on the forum is that the valves are made in such a way the oil flows on them. I would think smoothing them out would mess something up... I also noticed Ivan, Trumpetsplus liked the comment about having it done by a professional. The cat knows trumpets... heck he makes trumpets.
    I would opt for an ultrasonic or chem clean by a shop.
    For cosmetic shining I like MAAS Metal polish.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is the one you want.

Silde & Valve Cloth for Musical Instruments – Blitz Inc

Here's the link to their Musical Instrument cloths. I didn't see these at Home Depot. Any music store should be able to get these or you can order direct from Blitz.

Musical Instrument Cleaning Cloths & Polish – Blitz Inc

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    AG, Brasso was mentioned in another poster's reply on page one, I believe:oops:

10. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Okay,Brass-o may have been mentioned, but it was not recommended for cleaning valves. If you don't like Scratch doctor, by Nu-Finish.. then don't use it.., I am just saying that this is working for me. If you have something that is working, then stay with that. I don't think that I would want to see what the inside of your horn looks like, if you do not clean your valves, or slides. Mold and bacteria grow in damp dark places, and can cause your valves to gum up in a hurry, if you don't even so much as clean them with mild soap and water. So I am just wanting to give some advice.., even if it is bad advice.., then Ooops!! but clean your horn at least.

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo40/0d/7b/a35a2df71d1b__1338819715000.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012