Tips for a good practice routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    So, what do you say consists in a good practice routine that is 30 minutes?

I only practice 30 mintutes at a time because I guess a bad attention span. Get distracted. And i really like practicing, but it just happens. Overall, i'd like to have at least 5 sessions a day, or more.

How should i split practice time? And my trumpet teacher told me to slur for 45 mintues at a time, but my mouth gets really tired, and cant do it. What should i do about that?

I need to work on long tones, slurs, double and triple tonguing, building range. How should I that?

And why am I such a terrible sight reader and bad at reading music. Mostly I have always relied on ear. I heard music is math, but I'm not THAT bad at math at all.

Is it because I just started to learn how to read music last year. Im a highschool senior, and so embarassed. I only get into Honor Band, and other groups and stuff because I have a really good ear. But in there are times when we a re given music and I fail miserbly, and even the people in chairs behind do alot better. Im afraid I can never have any type of profession in music because of this problem. It's seriously terrible, and it's not because of nerves.

I have tried practicing easy songs in arban, but im still bad. what should i do? My music reading skills are probably middle school level.

2. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    What happens when im sight reading is my eyes dont really capture the notes, or rythem so i mess up.

3. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    The way you practice is actually very common. not many people can hole up in a practice room for 3 hours at a time.

sight reading is a problem that everyone deals with in one form or another. just try not to go a day without reading something new. it WILL take time, but you can succeed if you have patience. Although your struggles with reading music may limit your opportunities now, you will be able to succeed if you work hard and practice correctly, no matter what you did in high school.

Arban pg 42 has some great lip slur exercises. play them at comfortable, controlled speeds. also, don't just slur them. single tongue them, K tongue them, double tongue them, AND slur them.

If you're interested in setting up a routine, take an exercise, like say #16. practice it single tongued three or four times a day for a week. then, the next week practice it K tongued, etc, etc. after slurring it for a week, move on to the next one.

If you have clarke's technical studies, you can do the same thing with each study.

Disregard people who say that you must play for hours on end to build endurance. it's not true. always, always, ALWAYS rest as much as you play. your embouchure cannot make progress if you dont allow the muscles to recover.

Building range is always a tricky area. if I were you, i'd set up a routine exercise that you do every day (once a day) that streches your range limits. for instance, you could do one octave arpeggios (CEGC) going up by halfsteps until you get to the top of your range (with substantial rest in between!!!). once you've gotten to the point where you can't play the top note, try three times to play it without straining, and then STOP. don't worry if you dont achieve progress in the first day or so, it WILL come with time.

Ok, to summarize this wall of text: Trumpet playing takes time. It takes patience and confidence to develop. However, IMO in order to approach that which you cannot do, you must reinforce what you can do with the correct habits.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    While composing music may be "math," sight-reading is more like arithmetic.

Count.

5. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    really true. reading music has to in a way be as automatic as arithmetic. as long as your patient, you will gain the muscle memory to read music. just remember that muscle memory, while long lasting, takes a long time to build up.

6. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
  7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    This is an episode of "punk'd" isn't it, right?
    Lips slurs for 45 minutes? That seems like a lot!!Ouch!!!
    For sight reading:
    1)Get a metronome and set it somewhat slower than the speed of a song.
    2)Read the basics..Time, key, feel,
    3)Using a "RED PENCIL" mark the best places for taking a breath, and circle and weird changes or anything you think that'll derail your reading.
    4)Here's a bit of advice that someone mentioned that I thought was really neat.
    "Don't read notes, read sounds"
    5)Buy/get sheet music that match a CD. While the CD plays, read the music.
    6)The more you do it, the better you'll get.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    30 minutes is not enough for honor band.

If you want to get "better" you will need at least double that. My formula is 1/3 longtones and slurs, 1/3 easy tunes and 1/3 technical studies for the daily routine. Then comes repertory on top which is not routine or necessarily daily. If I have heavy rehearsals, I only play my routine and the rehearsal. Repertory gets covered on days where I have more time available.

An hour a day keeps the cracked notes away - or something like that.

9. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I already made it into Honor Band, in fact I just got back from it 2 days ago. It was so fun and awesome. Over 300 people auditioned, and the auditioner and my highschool band director said it was really competitive to get in this year for trumpets, but overall the auditioner said trumpets had the best audition tapes he's ever heard in his experience of doing Honor Band for 13 years. My band director also told my Mom that I was really talented, and everyone says I've improved vastly over just a summer and should continue playing.

And I dont mean practicing only 30 minutes a day, but sessions of 30 minutes.

Would this be a good daily routine?

1st session- 10 minutes of slurring and pedal tones. 10 minutes of long tones. And the rest of 10 minutes should be me resting in between so my mouth doesn't get tired.

2nd session- 15 minutes of double tonguing exercises. 15 minutes of practicing a song or variation of song with double tonguing.

3rd session- 15 minutes of triple tonguing exercises. 15 minutes of practicing a song or variation of song with triple tonguing.

4th session- Trying to remember a scale, and then practicing exercises with scale in Arban book.

5th session- Practice sight reading for 15 minutes, and rythem exercises for about 15 minutes.

6th session- Practice and learn some new song like an etude or something. Maybe take time to learn some popular song to play for family or friends or something.

7th session (If necessary, is an hour session, which means there will be no 6th session) - Practice something I have to perform like for a solo like school concert, college audtions, or something.

I dont really practice the music for school unless I have a solo because we do that stuff everyday, and it's really easy even being 1st chair. I'm sure ill have to in college though, but for now I really don't need to, or want to.

My schedule will change when I get to college, but this is all I can do for now on school days. Plus, Mom says Im not allowed to practcie after 9:00 PM so this is all I can do for now.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  10. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009