Tips for avoiding stress in the lower abdomen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Mar 3, 2010.

1. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Hey Guys

So I was doing routine tonight, and idk why but I'm really stressing out down low. I don't want to give myself a hernia. Normally I don't think this happens. I haven't practiced in a few days if that may cause anything. This is obviously when I'm playing above the staff or when I'm playing long phrases. So my question is, how do you help yourself not disembowel yourself?

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Well as a former hernia sufferer I'm not sure that you can give yourself a Hernia if you are breathing properly, I still mananged to sing when I had mine (it was in my hiatus from playing while I was singing in a production of Carmen) Your diapghram is well above the the lower bowel wich usually (I beleive) is the area which can herniate. However I ramble (as usual) I was told when I had mine that it was probably a birth defect and that modern thinking is that 90% of hernias are such. I think the usual advice to relax and not to over push any part of the body is best. A firm diaphram rather than a pushed diaphram. I may be wrong I'm no doctor but I can only speak from experience

Cheers

Andrew

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I've had my muscles to hurt and cramp too if I've taken a couple of days off and then try to play demanding stuff in the upper register. However, if this is an ongoing problem, then I'd look at how you are using your air. Here's something you might want to try:
    Imagine a hole about the size of a tennis ball in the small of your back. When you inhale, imagine the air being sucked in through the hole. What this does is to make the area around the belt to expand out. Once the belt area goes out, fill up the the upper portion of your chest but not to the point to where you look like the big bad wolf getting ready to huff and puff. Also, there's a technique called circle of breath that might be worth checking out.
    Good Luck

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Don't worry about it. If you practice more, everything works together better, if you don't, then you will have to twist yourself inside out to get decent results.

Don't believe me? Get sick and stay in bed for two weeks. I'll bet you will even have trouble walking.

Don't change anything except your attitude towards practicing enough every day. That will cause a miracle in your life.

5. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Rowuk's right I had the best part of two weeks ill last year I was weak and watery for a couple of weeks after, having sais that the good half stone weight loss was useful

Ha Ha

Andrew

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I seem to look at myself as a bit of an expert on Hernias. Why? I just had my 9th abdominal hernia repair done on Dec. 17th,2009.

That being said, if you have never had problems with hernias; I wouldn't worry about it. I am practicing pretty hard right now, 2 monthes after surgery. I have found as long as I am breathing properly I am good.

I would say if you are experiencing pain,, and think it is a hernia. It was probably caused by something else.

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Nine Ouch