Tips for beginner with no tutor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by essdrae, Jan 6, 2014.

1. essdrae

essdrae New Friend

Dec 29, 2013

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You can get lessons on line, using Skype or FaceTime, even if you only have one a month it's worth doing. The advantage to this is you can have a teacher far better than just those local to you.

You can teach yourself from scratch (I did), but it's not recommended. You teach yourself bad habits which are very hard to break. If you must, get a tuner so you can check you are playing the right note. I started on Tune a Day book one, 30 years ago. Use my Arban everyday and get the odd lesson, even now, to check my technique etc. I use FaceTime for those, so that I can get one of the very best tutors available.

3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
  4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But if said FaceTime instructor sees you are playing an Eclipse (equipment error), s/he may drop you real fast... so keep the bell out of the line of site.

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    If you are comfortable with telling us your location, perhaps someone would be able to recommend some local resources/teachers to you.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You just stick with playing your antiques and making stuff up, leave the decent instruments and note reading to us musicians.

Oh, and it's line of SIGHT! You sure you're a qualified Doctor? Perhaps there were no written tests when you did it?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :wub:

Sad but true... MD, license to kill

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Mystery to Mastery

FREE Introductory eBook

But I would still try a real teacher to get started and sort you out face to face.
    Good luck

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Always beware of doctors owning stocks in funeral homes and trumpet teachers that use the word "revolutionary method" in their pitches. Those beginning trumpet methods aren't just for kids. I would call my students "trumpeter pharisees" when all they did was play the right notes with the right rhythms. That "easy stuff" becomes real hard when we try to play perfectly and get the beautiful sound in our heads out the bell.