Tips for beginner with no tutor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by essdrae, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe it would be nice if everyone had lips that align, but we're not clones. Such is the view from the side.

No more pressure of the mouthpiece is needed beyond an air seal between your lips and the mouthpiece to play any note. Back off that left elbow pressure!

Breath control is essential! It should improve with practice. Take a breath at every rest in the music, otherwise surmise phrasing and pencil mark it, catching a short breath between the phrases. The higher notes require more air pressure, but practice the lower notes, playing them long, whole notes tied together, two notes in the beginning, then 3, 4, 5 ad infinitum over time as your breath strengthens. Next, still with whole notes slur up a tone, 2 tones, 3 tones etc.

Introduce sharps and flats as appropriate and build a chromatic scale of whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenths, and possibly 32nds. Ascend and descend this scale.

What I've put forth is a practice regimen I personally have used and still often use. Excellence doesn't come quickly but if you are diligent and persist, it will come.

As others will say, get a tutor ... one that helps you. I once had one who was also my instrumental music instructor in the lower grades and later my high school band director, but he tutored me often twice a week for an hour.

I now relish those hours, as Dr. Cameron knew his stuff an could play rings round the rosy with his trumpet or cornet.

Point, it helps a lot when your tutor is proficient on the instrument you play.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi essdrae,
    The books that you mentioned (and some that are suggested) are in my opinion great books (Jazz Method by O'Neal describes a neat way to doodle tongue and Mystery to Mastery helps get your head around the big picture) but possibly these texts won't be needed for a least a little while. First you must learn the basics. How to form your embrochure, how to tongue, heck how about "how to hold your horn!!"
    Start simple. Get "Accent on Achievement" and learn it. Also, check out some of rowuk's stuff on this site and The Basics Sheet. You will have many questions as you progress and you just happened to wonder into the right site. Ask questions! There are many very skilled trumpet players on this site that are willing to help you achieve your goals and if they don't know, they know where to send you to get the answers but be warned. You must do the work! No words or advice will help if you do not have a regular practice routine. Most beginners will have 1/2 hour practice everyday.
    Dr.Mark

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My one regret is that I took much too long to get my scales under my belt - the capacity to play well doesn't happen in a vacuum, so two things if I may, scales and a tutor.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ted, perhaps you were wearing your belt too tight. PM me and I will find a way to send you some medicine to get rid of those nasty scales.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :think: ............... :noway:

6. casbonano

casbonano New Friend

Jun 17, 2011
    Neenah, WI
    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would resurrect this one.

As some of you already know, I have had a trumpet for two weeks now, am in love with the instrument, and am in need of a tutor. As my profile states, my home town in the United States is Virginia Beach. However, I am currently located in Appleton, WI until August. I have contacted the local University (Lawrence), and checked a Local Music Shop, but the Music Shop has only one brass instructor who specializes in the French Horn but who ALSO teaches Trumpet, and the University has yet to respond. I would prefer an Instructor who's primary instrument is the Trumpet and that I could physically go to as opposed to doing lessons with facetime or skype, if at all possible. My I am interested in playing Jazz/Latin Jazz/Salsa. I am an adult with a semi-professional background as a guitarist and singer and have also studied a little Classical Guitar.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

-Carlos

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Carlos,

did you even read the recommendations in this thread? Not much has changed since the beginning of January and it should be clear to everyone by now that starting alone offers the WORST odds for success. There are so many things to get wrong and humans being creatures of habit have a really rough time unlearning the stupid things that they did while "not knowing better". I am pretty vocal even about the crap shoot for beginners with internet lessons. I have NEVER met anyone with success and to undo the crap that they learned was always a very "involved" process.

Heck, we even get crap internet advice when the player is not a beginner! We do not censor here, so you really have to read through the threads to get a feeling for what is what!

We are all different and I do believe in luck but that is all there is when no teacher is available. I would recommend learning an easier instrument first and then when the odds are better (a decent teacher is available), switching.

Instruments much better suited for self help are the recorder then the saxophone.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nothing beats a good teacher. Check their references. Being in a band isn't a reference. I know a player that told me he was teaching trumpet. I know by his expression my jaw must have dropped. Plenty of posters here living in 757 so they may be able to help when youngster back.

9. casbonano

casbonano New Friend

Jun 17, 2011
    Neenah, WI
    Thanks for the reply. I did read the thread. That' s why I when I read a reply that suggested perhaps stating one's location so that maybe a good teacher might be recommended, I did just that. As I explained, I have contacted the University here and am waiting to hear back. In the mean while, I was just hoping someone might be able to recommend some instructors in the Appleton, Wisconsin area (though I am from Virginia, I am currently in Wisconsin until August).

I'm certainly not going to take up the recorder instead just because I haven't found a teacher yet. I'm sure that was meant to be helpful, but it had me roll'n.

In classical guitar (and I imagine in just about every instrument) there is a similar idea that if you go the self taught route you are sure to ruin yourself with bad habits that can also cause long term physical damage. I am not saying that such concerns arent founded on solid reasons and experience and arent generally good, solid advice, but I will say that in spite of all the doomsday talk about self teaching I had to use method books by myself for over a year and a half before I was able find a University teacher for Classical guitar, and when I did I was offered a small scholarship after the first lesson if I agreed to played with the Universities Guitar Ensemble. I did have one bad habit that I had formed, but with resolve, this was fixed in weeks and never really slowed me down. Trumpet is a different beast from guitar, sure. But I think I will be okay focusing on long tones for a couple weeks as I continue to search for a teacher.

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Don't discount the FaceTime Skype route. You can get lessons from people that you could never get to see in person. I've been playing for years ( and was completely self taught in both playing and reading music ) but still get lessons now, via FaceTime from a top professional trumpet tutor ( Royal Welsh College of Music ) and learn more in each lesson than in a decade of self teaching.