Tips for early players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Flugellover, May 16, 2013.

1. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    I have to give a young trumpet player (6th grade, been playing for 1-2 years) a lesson tomorrow and need things to work on, any suggestions for things to work on than commonly need work in players this level/ways to work on these things. Thanks!

2. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    First thing's first. He's in 6th grade. Fun is a priority - play a duet or two - have him watch and listen to you play things that might make him look at the trumpet in awe. Get him inspired.

If it's apparent that he's already inspired then try working on breathing. Have him emulate your playing. Give him a list of great trumpet players he can listen to.

Just a few tips. Good luck.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Fun with balloons! Take out the student's second valve slide and place a balloon on the "out" port. Have them play a C major scale. Lots of laughter when the e gets played. Encourage the student to get that e to sound (it will sound, and the balloon will balloon out) as much like a trumpet as possible. Remove the balloon, replace the slide and have them replay the C major scale while blowing like they did for the trumpety sounding balloon e. Admire the monster sound that comes out, and have them play everything that way.

Easily worth $50.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm going to try this with my boy tonight!

-bumblebee

5. Kendall

Kendall Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    UK
    Really??

Why is there never a balloon when you need one!

6. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Also give him something to go find and listen to that he's never heard of that shows of a facet of the instrument (a New Orleans brass band, a funky R&B tune, a user friendly Miles Davis tune...anything he/she has not been exposed too.

I wish someone did that with me.