"TIPS" for ebay sellers.... My Rant....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Sep 14, 2010.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Some of you can relate........

Feel free to add or comment

How to sell a trumpet/cornet on ebay

Tips

Photos are expensive ( $1.00 for 6 ) so don't waste $$ on too many.
    When taking photo, MOVE the camera, especially on close-ups, this will add intrigue for the buyer, a flash helps too!
    List many paragraphs about your self, your ebay record, your rules for the potential buyer, your shipping, your places you won't ship, you, you, you!
    Contrast that with very little info about the item you are trying to sell, after all, it's all about you!
    It's always nice to format your listing with 6-8 contrasting, glaring colors of font, make it headache inducing, this will confuse the bidders.
    Mention that your neighbors kid used to play, he got a sound out of it so it must be OK.
    Berate current potential ebayers regarding previous perceived wrongs done to you in the past by.
    ebay
    Other buyers
    The USPS
    UPS,FEDEX
    PAYPAL
    Other sellers
    Your mother
    Also include why you have deemed to change one of your many "policies" in your many paragraphs in response to this wrong done to you. (People want to know the troubles you've seen)
    This will add some drama to the otherwise insufferable boring long winded experience of wading through your listing for a scrap of info on the item the buyer is looking for.
    Towards the end of the listing, mention all the things you won't do, this gives the buyer the sense that you truly are service oriented.

:-?

2. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds about right to me. I also love the ones that say there are "minor" dents and dings, but they're going to have their tech take them out before shipping. Really? You've owned it all this time, and you just decided to let Igor take a hammer to it right before shipping it to ME? How thoughtful :lol:

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Excellent post. I have many annoyances with eBay sellers.

How about the sellers who write two whole sentences describing the condition of the instrument, and then a small paragraph about the case and how one latch is fidgety but works anyway. I have seen this a few times. Are other buyers really more interested in the condition of the case than the trumpet?

The sellers who talk about 'those button things' always give me pause. I think it is a warning sign to stay away if the seller can't use the correct terms to describe the instrument. One seller couldn't tell me if an instrument was brass or silver (some photos looked like one, some the other) but suggested it would be easy for ME to clean it up to find out. Then there are the sellers that play dumb and make sure none of the photos reveal something obviously amiss. (I bought a cornet with a broken - not unsoldered - broken - leadpipe brace that would be obvious to anyone, but hadn't been mentioned in the description and conveniently enough couldn't be seen in any of the six photos!.)

One big pet peeve is with the word MINTY. What on earth is up with so many sellers using the word "minty" to describe the vintage trumpet or cornet they are selling? (OR lately on the TM classifieds, mouthpieces.) Have they been liberally washed in peppermint, spearmint, lavendar, or sage perfumes? Or have they spent much of their minty past in Minty, Poland? Or where they a prop used by Minty Peterson on the EastEnders TV series? Or perhaps the seller is too ignorant to know that mint (as in this vintage trumpet is in mint condition) is an adjective meaning pristine or in immaculate condition, whereas minty is an adjective describing the quality of being mint-like (mint in that case being a noun for an aromatic plant). I cannot describe how disappointed I was to receive the MINTY trumpet I won on eBay to discover it had the same brassy smell of other instruments.

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I also wonder why a number of eBay sellers specify only USA shipping, repeated in capital letters in the body of the listing that they won't ship internationally? Before I bought my Committee I watched sales of those trumpets on eBay for a couple months and noticed that the Martin Committees that had worldwide (or a wider world than just the USA) consistently sold for more than the sellers who would only sell to a US address. Same goes for Olds Recordings. One guy actually wrote something like "this is your chance to get a piece of history. I'm only shipping to the USA so that it won't end up in Japan or somewhere outside of America." (I live in Japan which is why it caught my eye.) I guess he was happy to get several hundred less and have it stay in America? I have bought a lot of (non-trumpet) things on eBay, and often from people who first specified USA only, but allowed me to bid when I politely enquired. What I don't get are the sellers who seem to be adamant xenophobes when it comes to taking money from someone (who may have a lot of it but) lives in a different time zone.

5. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Lower 48 only. The thought of an Alaskan getting hold of their pride and joy is just too much to bear.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Haaaaaaa ...... I WIN ......... I have 3 trumpets from the States ...... including a couple through eBay .......... and shipped all the way to Oz.

Particularly pleasant transactions all.

7. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Agree with your comment about fonts except you forgot to mention, they must be BIG. Makes what you say seem more important. People will have to stay on your page longer if they have to scroll, scroll, scroll. If you can get the type to run off the side so that they have to scroll sideways back and forth, you've done a great job!

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Take blurry pics of the horn in different lighting conditions to make it look silver in some, brass in others.

If you do opt to spend the big $$$ for more than one picture, make sure most of 'em are of the case.

If you have more than one auction going on, make sure to mix up the pictures so each auction has at least one pic of each horn you're selling.

If it's a cornet, make sure you call it a coronet, or even better, call it a trumpet.

List any unknown brand of horn as the name on the mouthpiece. For example, if you have a Czech trumpet with no markings but 97, 98, and 99 on the valve casing, and it has a Bach 7C mouthpiece with it, it becomes a Bach trumpet.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Related - why say anything for sale is "mint condition"?

Really? Mint? You mean it has never been played and only handled by a butler named Jeeves wearing white cotton gloves for the sole purpose of taking the pictures? Seriously, nothing for sale on ebay is "mint" condition, so why keep using the word at all?!

Rather than telling us how many/size dents, scratches, broken/stuck parts
    a horn has, most people seem to think the adjectives are the way to go -
    mint, factory, good, fair, awesome, pristine, abused, etc. , when really, adjectives mean nothing to most sellers on ebay.

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Be sure to include a video of Arturo or Maynard - or your brother-in-law - playing a trumpet which is supposedly just like the one you are selling. That makes a big impression.