"TIPS" for ebay sellers.... My Rant....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    .. or use the word Rare for the following: Conn 80a, Director, Or Olds Ambassador. ROFL

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    good 1.

or use these phrases:

"marketed as a student horn, but used by many professionals"

"just went through by my tech"

"need to sell fast, so bid aggressively"

"will blow away anyone in your section"

"they don't make them like this anymore" - no kidding? For a good reason!

"comes with free pep band music" - well, shoot, who can't use more of that?

"recommended by my band director" - that's good enough for me!

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    The one I could never figure out "The Valves Work Great....considering their age".

So when I am looking at some horn from 1935 what exactly does that mean?

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I forgot.....
    "Comes with bendy thing to hold music" (lyre) Anybody NOT have a drawer full of these?
    "Buttons are MOP" Any horn NOT have these?
    Lots of photos of music books, cleaning devices, empty off brand valve oil,filthy cleaning snake and or mouthpiece brush,music for large marching band 4th cornet from Evansville High 1973........but not many pics of horn, or 3 pics of same side/area
    "Can't find a serial number" (It's under the plastic valve block cover laced up with an old tennis shoe lace)
    :-) :-(

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How about pulling the item when they don't think they'll get enough and relisting it the next day or, no reserve opening bid $800, and one of my personal favorites for mpc's $0.99 no reserve, shipping $17!! There's an 80a on there now for at least the 4th time. Never seen it get above 225, then it gets pulled. The video isn't even the same horn!! OOPS, my fault for noticing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    The other side of ebay.
    Just bought a besson crescendo, not much money (£70) but was in very good nick and looks and sounds great. The seller answered my questions promptly, sent extra photo's, gave me a history of his ownership, even found the old paperwork.
    I always ask a simple question and if they answer i may bid, if they dont i wont bid.

7. johnwilliam

johnwilliam New Friend

Dec 6, 2009
    Tobylou,

I especially love it when I see this coupled with an absurdly high "buy it now" price. There's an "ultra rare" Besson 2-20 cornet that's been listed for an extremely long time; I think the buy it now price is somewhere in the $700+ range.

I also enjoy sellers who seem quite capable of describing an item, adding that it's in minty condition (just trying that as an adjective). They then go on to state they aren't an expert in the area and that they can't be held responsible if what they're telling you is wrong.

Scott

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've actually not had a bad buying experience. I even bought a horn but had to return it and the seller was cool about it and took it back. But since this is a rant... . I do what you do which is why I haven't been taken.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yea, that guys a nut!

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    It is a "given" there are great sellers, deals, experiences....

This is NOT about that but about the knuckleheads, the schisters, the dweeebs, the Mooliacks (Thanks Cliff Clavin) high binders, etc.etc.

:-)