Tips for handling auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NeonMarmot, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ruling

ruling New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    The Monadnocks, NH
    Be proud of your ability, whatever that level is. Have fun, be energetic, be beautiful. Wear comfortable clothes. Make sure you've played the entire piece many times all the way through before the audition to strengthen your phrasing and to work out your breathing. Practicing only the demanding parts will result in a disjointed performance. Play through your mistakes as if they didn't happen. We've all heard the best of the best make mistakes and still been in awe and overjoyed with the performance.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is really a mind set. I know; I have been there. I cannot make a specific recommendation to you as each situation has a unique consequence to overcome the anxiety. Again, this is all about anxiety, which if you let it work for you, can keep you hyper-vigilant and enhance a performance.

A little story: I was trying out for jazz band at Colorado State University. They have 5 bands. I was told by a professor in my chemistry department, that quite honestly, getting into these bands was too competitive for a non-music major. But I went to try out anyway, with such butterflies in my stomach!

When I arrived, I saw a line of trumpet players winding through 5 hallways. When I saw that, the anxiety just went completely away, as I realized I did not have a chance. But I stuck with it and entered the room with the attitude; let's show them what a chemist can do. I sight read the pieces they gave me that included an improve solo without the benefit of an accompaniment. They thanked me; I thanked them in a warm genuine way and walked out of the room.

Two days later I went to the music department as the try out results were being posted. I immediately went to the fifth band post, I was not listed. I went to the fourth, third bands, no listing. I turned to walk out of the building, and heard someone shout, “Onady, who's Onady?” That individual shouting was standing in front of the first band listing. I looked. There was my name, top of the list, lead trumpet! True story.

So my recommendation is rise to the occasion, and get the mindset that, I am going to show them what I can do. And do it!

3. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Well.... if you are looking for a crash course in desensitizing yourself..... grab a chair, your horn, music, music stand and a bucket, go to the busiest transit area where you live. sit down, put the bucket in front of you with your music, and practice. It is easy for me, since I live in Manahttan, but if you live in Nova Scotia, I can undestand there being a problem. If you make a dollar, you make a dollar, but after awhile of playing, the people will just blend away if you pay attention to the music. Just my 2 cents.

4. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    Thank you for the help everyone! I'm feeling much better about this

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    WOW! What a great post and advice. I could not have recommended a behavioral therapy any better. Are you a psychologist or psychiatrist? Taking anxiety reactions to this level is one practice technique that is used in addressing an anxiety disorder, but is usually accompanied by the therapist. Even so, this should work, and I do believe WILL result in a positive income flow as oppose to an income deduction for having to pay a therapist fee.

6. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Strange thing that helps with my anxiety (I used to have to vomit before going on stage, I was THAT bad) is eating lots of bananas and staying hydrated.

After that, when it's time to go on, switch your anxiety into a "check THIS out" kind of mindset, almost like (for want of a better word) aggression. Given that your body is going through the "fight or flight" response, call upon the "fight' element and go and nail some trumpet playing!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That was/is funny. Definetly pre-Oprah!! AND it worked!! ROFLROFLROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thats what I'm talking about! A nice summary to the points I have been trying to bring out in this thread. Use anxiety to your advantage.

9. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    I just played a short show, and I was surprisingly relaxed, I had a solo too. I was not very happy with my solo, but that's probably just my perfectionism... I got some compliments so I suppose it wasn't so bad.

Feels good to make progress :)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Congratulations on your performance, and thanks for giving us this feedback. As for the perfectionism thing, don't change that one, that will always keep you working harder to do better. There is nothing wrong with that. Thanks again for your feedback, I truly appreciate to review the follow up of the advice we give here.