Tips for playing a Monette C trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Anonymous, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Manny,

I'm trying out my old teacher's 2000LT C trumpet in raw brass. It was one of the first ones made and is a GREAT horn! I'm really starting to know how to play it, and think I'm going to buy it from him. I'm playing on a C1-5M (came with it) right now, but ordered a C1-1 (my favorite rim size) in a Prana with an S5 cup and a 17 bb. I hope it helps get some more sizzle in the sound and a more free upper register.

My question is this: when you're playing a Monette trumpet, are there some things that you keep reminding yourself to really play it well? I keep saying "low vowel" and "support from diaphram" but are there any other things? After switching from a Monette STC 1 to a Bach and now back to a Monette (although still gigging on my Bach for the most part), I figured out pretty fast that I don't need to adjust notes into place anymore with my head/throat/air/whatever else, especially if I'm supporting from my core.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Post Edited.

(Forgive me PBT but you're not allowed, by forum rules, to post anyone's PM, even if it was sent to you. I'm really sorry. I know that was upsetting to get but I have to follow the rules.)

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    No problem! I didn't know that, but I figured that if it was a problem someone would take it down. Thanks for letting me know!

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think one thing that's important with any horn but crucial with Monette's is a good contact with the mouthpiece. This has nothing to do wth pressure but everything to do with maintaining a good vibrating surface and connection to the mouthpiece. Keeping the lips forward and the corners down go a long way to acheiving the type of physical set-up that lets you use your musicianship.

Listening for a consistent sound from bottom to top is also huge, I've found. That's why I like playing chromatic scales. I listen for evenness of the sound. These horns are less forgiving and tell you when you're playing with a set-up that changes.

Be careful about your nomenclature. Describing the use of the diaphragm as you did is a classic mistake. When you blow out, the diaphragm is disengaged and not being used. Rather, some abdominal muscles are being used to support the air that's being blown out once you reach the midpoint in your exhalation. At that midpoint, there's a complete balance between the high air pressure in the room and the low air pressure in your body. When you reach that point, your abdominal muscles take over, ideally, and help continue to push the air out. The larger point is that the diaphragm is merely returning to its pre-inhale position whil you're blowing out.

Good luck with the horn,

ML

5. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    One thing that really helped me get into my Monette is flow studies. I practice them facing a mirror, and making sure that I do everything correctly, such as good posture, and not moving my head as I go up and down the registers, and with leaps. It opened up my sound in incredible ways.

These are great instruments!

Louie

6. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    How much are those STC 1's peabody??

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I'm not sure. You would have to call Dave's shop and ask. I paid $7,000 for mine which was 1 year old and gold plated in perfect shape.

8. heik

heik New Friend

Sep 28, 2005
    Brazil
    Monette trumpet tips

Hi Peabodyt,
    if I might ask, who is you teacher in Baltimore?

I ask because I am good friends with two of BSO's trumpeters, Andy Balio and Rene Hernandez and was wondering if you study with one of them.
    Later,
    HeinzKarl.

9. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    Re: Monette trumpet tips

hey i study with Rene Hernandez.. he's a great guy and whatever he's doing with me it's working great!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I study with Balio, but know Rene well. Great guy, trumpeter, and teacher! If you're ever looking for someone to play duets with, let me know.