Tips for sticky lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Keegan Katastrofee, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Keegan Katastrofee

Keegan Katastrofee New Friend

Dec 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Does anyone have any tips for overcoming "Sticky Lips" i often have the problem of the inside of my lips feeling sticky when playing in some enviroments. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to overcome it?

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I find that keeping well hydrated helps, drink plenty of water.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Water often helps just about anything for trumpet players. It rinses, hydrates, and does about anything else you can think of.

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    sticky lips? how about you run your tongue over your lips? :dontknow:

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    You know, I just thought of something. Sometimes sugar can do that. It can get all sticky and I won't get into the rest of the details, but do you eat or drink anything sugary before you play? If so, that could be the result: sticky lips.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Brush your teeth.

7. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    :lol:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Keegan,
    the winter months and the associated heating will cause you to need more water. Chapstick and handcream sales go up due to this phenomena which also applies to your playing.
    As already suggested, keep hydrated and if you live where it is cold, use some kind of lip balm (especially before going outside) to keep the lips pliable and soft.

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salty food and sugary drinks do this to me. The only cure I know is to avoid them before you plan on playing or practicing. Brushing my teeth with water and no toothpaste helps a little...at least then you're not constantly blowing sugar back onto your lips (and into your horn!).