Tips on becoming a Pro

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveduder, May 12, 2015.

1. daveduder

daveduder New Friend

May 3, 2015
    Hi all,
    I have been playing the trumpet for about 5 years now and in the seventh grade. I thoroughly enjoy playing the trumpet and am looking at trying to become a professional someday. I know there are some great players on this forum, Open to all advice!

A little background info:
    Played in the California All-State JH Jazz Band
    I play in my local Youth symphony (Most advanced level)
    I study with Dan Norris

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Welcome!

TOP TIP: Take whatever opportunities come your way, but also make sure you have a Plan B.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Make plan B plan A. Being a pro musician is a tough road. Good luck, do good in school and never limit yourself to any specific style

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Best of luck in your goal to become a professional musician. It sounds like you've had some good accomplishments so far.

This question gets asked from time-to-time. And we often get the suggestions about "Plan B". I'm not saying the "Plan B" route is correct or incorrect. But I will say my wife and I both did this. We're both transferred out of music programs before finishing college. For us, having a good-paying day job gives us the freedom to play the music we want.

If you're interested in this possibility, it might help to talk to some of the Plan B-ers, to seek their advice (those who play professionally, but have regular day jobs). Nick Drozdoff is one such person. I don't know if he's a member here, but his site is Nick Drozdoff: Home. He's a nice guy, that I've taken a couple lessons from. Gary Onady is another suggestion (gmonady here on TrumpetMaster).

Mike

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Marry a chick that has a job with insurance. Practice a lot.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best way to get professional is to study with a teacher that has leftovers for you. Opportunity makes the master! You simply have to perform any- and everywhere. Stay active in public. There are plenty of practice room aces out there that fall apart on stage.
    Church
    clubs
    special ensembles

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gunther Schuller once said "If you make music your life, it will make you a living."

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I never had a "trumpet teacher" during my formative years. What I did have what my K-6 music teacher, who was a piano and education major in his college years, and was well on his way to earning all of his degrees with the American Guild of Organists. (At this point he has earned every level of degree they have.) Starting toward the end of my sophomore year in HS, he continued to push me with playing opportunities at the church where he served as the music director and organist. Maybe not quite the same thing, but it pushed me toward a level of proficiency that otherwise I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have attained.

But Rowuk brings up a great point - working toward polished performances all along the way will push you to be better, and I've always felt that you'll learn things through the pressure of performance that just can't be learned in a practice room.

I suppose it depends on how you view it and what you are willing to accept. When I was in my first enlistment as an Army bandsman I got to know a guy from the next building over, assigned to a military intelligence company. This guy was passionate about music to a degree or two beyond what I've ever been, and he desperately wanted to do an OJT thing (on the job training) so he could switch over to be in the band. Problem was, he just didn't have it. He worked at it too, but he just never got to the point where we were willing to take him on and into the band program. At this point in his life he's still involved in music, and may even play some, but he makes his living doing instrument repair. I'm not sure if that's quite the same thing, but in a way, he is making his living in music.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Man, the advice doesn't get any better than this!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    gmonady said: The difference between a pizza and a jazz musician is a pizza will feed a family of 5.