Tips on becoming a Pro

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveduder, May 12, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for the suggestion going my way Mike, but my Plan B has thorns as well. I remembered 4 years ago on my Academic review with my boss (Department Chair of Pediatrics) that upon reviewing my clinical income, I made the comment, "I have a BS, MS, PHD, MD, two years of fellowship training, and 4 years of residency training and I made more money this year playing with my Quintet!" - True story. Tomorrow, I go into court depositions as the plaintiff that dances around this very issue. So at this point, Plan A ain't lookin so bad.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually Rowuk and Seth made the best suggestions. Open up your opportunities to play out and meet people. I believe in the business would we call it Networking. Then cross your fingers, and hope opportunity comes a call'in. That is how I had the chance to get started. But once you get started in one market and leave to go to another (and you have yet to make it to National recognition) you will have to start the process all over again. It takes dedication, a passion for the music you play, and lots of energy and drive to push forward to make it happen. If you have all these qualities... it will happen.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    My best advice regarding having a Plan A and Plan B (not to be confused with "Plan 9" ;-) ) is to ask yourself, "Can you not do music?" If the answer is that you have to do music, then go for it.

Although there is wisdom in having a Plan B, you run the risk of having one foot in the profession and one foot out of it. Indecision is a killer for anyone wanting to go into the arts. I liken it to Peter trying to walk on the water. What sunk him wasn't (as the parable goes) his inability to walk on it. It was his indecision to completely commit himself to it. At the moment he had doubts, that's the moment he sunk.

I think that anyone who is willing to make the sacrifice of material things and to also be resourceful in how to manage your musical resources can make a reasonable living.

FWIW, I'm one who had only a Plan A and never seriously considered a Plan B, and I've had a reasonable income from music for almost (gad) half a century.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I feel your pain, my friend. There isn't as much money in medicine as people think. I've already warned my wife that I'll be retiring as some point, and going back to Plan A.

Mike

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :thumbsup:

6. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Be a pro, or play like a pro? The latter is easier and much more fun. But that's pretty much what everybody else has been saying. Whichever route you go, best wishes for your happiness and success.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yea

8. daveduder

daveduder New Friend

May 3, 2015
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I've gotten some great advice on planning my career path, But does anyone have any tips on playing (and sounding) Like a pro?

Thanks!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Practice. A lot. Keep pushing to be better. Take lessons from good teachers. (This has always been a failing of mine) Listen to a lot of music from a lot of different genres - pick it apart to figure out what makes it "tick." Learn theory and what builds music.

You sound a lot like me when I was your age. I only kinda sorta became a "pro" musician, if it can be called that. (I played trumpet in the US Army band program for 10 years.)

For me, life happened - got married, had kids, and had a lot of responsibility. I ended up going into information technology, and I still gig on the side, which can be tough because it's harder to maintain a high level of proficiency as a part time player, but I know I can't stop doing it - I have way too much fun doing it and it's part of what makes me whole as a person. Never lose sight of that, even if you don't wind up making your living playing trumpet.

10. Coehlers95

Coehlers95 New Friend

Jul 12, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Its not easy to become a professional musician. especially trumpet.... work is lessening and being taken over by technology and todays music is changing. You are young though man dont rush things. If you love trumpet, then play trumpet in a few years you still know that this is what you want to do then do it. I recently watched a video interviewing Wynton Marsalis and he was talking about telling his parents about wanting to become a professional trumpet player. He went to his mother (and if you didnt know...Wyntons father was a very good trumpet player but never made it big and his family struggled) so he told his mother and she in a way suggested against it but said he should talk to his father. So he asked his father and his dad explained how hard it is to be a struggling musician and finally said to him, "But if this is truly what you want to do, then dont have anything to fall back on"

There is so much more to discuss about the industry and music jobs but this is a very important point. If you have a plan B that means you have a doubt in plan A. When you are a musician and artist, any doubt will hold you back, but when you know this is all you have and all you want to have and you work your but off you can do it. Everyone on this forum can/could've done it, I can do it, you can.