Tips on building up endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet obsession, Nov 16, 2014.

1. trumpet obsession

trumpet obsession New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    So I just got my music today for a gig in a few weeks. The guy that hired me told me to play certain measures from each trumpet part on one of the pieces, as he didn't hire anyone else. So, I copy and pasted all of these parts together and just came to the realization that I have 2 full pages of music with barely any rests. I started doing some practicing with it and halfway through the 2nd page my embochure feels like it's falling apart and I start to fall off of notes. Any advice on building up the restless constant face time type of stamina would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no two week plan to turn endurance around. All that you can do is increase the amount of time that you play daily AND turn that practice into multiple sessions so that you never beat yourself up. In addition, I recommend the following:
    1) mark the score with every breathing mark and practice with them.
    2) practice softly to increase playing time
    3) one day off a week
    4) reduce sodium (messes up hydration)
    5) no black tea (tannic acid makes my lips less pliable)
    6) lots of sleep
    7) only practice when you are really concentrated

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I echo what Rowuk said. There are some practice techniques that can aid you. One is to intersperse more rest in your routine. Also, some of the methods like "Irons" and "Caruso" can really aid in this.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For a gig in two weeks, experiments guarantee crash and burn. DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH A BUNCH OF NEW STUFF. Use what you have been doing, just increase the time and keep it as low impact as possible.