Tips on finding/choosing a good instructor?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Dec 31, 2008.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Since I'm getting back into the game after 9yrs, I'm thinking about making a few visits to an instructor. Maybe once a week or every other week to ensure I'm "doing it right". Not only because I'm very rusty, but I may have learned some things wrong in the past.

I was thinking about just going to a local music shop and asking around about instructors. Any special tips or questions to ask?

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Try to talk to local players that you like about who the good local teachers are....

bigtiny

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Visit a local college and ask .

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I'd ask around, and see if you find one that you like and who is well respected.

5. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I teach my students proper trumpet form, which I'm finding not a lot of teachers around here really know anything about. I use technical studies to help the students understand and develop their form. It may be good to ask them exactly "What" they teach.

Hoghorn

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Call the local college or university and find out who teaches trumpet. Then call them talk with them and find out if you can study with them or they know of someone for you to study.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    look for a teacher that has students that are successful at learning to play. It's a good indicator of the quality of their studio. Also you want someone who doesn't have a rigid methodology. ie. "everyone has to play the same way" Same mpc, same horn.

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Great words Bob !!!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Often we have little choice as there is not an infinite number of teachers available. A good start is to find someone at least playing very well and just getting started. Great players have a big advantage over great theorists: they have playing opportunities that you can sometimes take advantage of if you work hard. The single most important factor in getting good is performance opportunities.

My point: don't worry too much in the beginning. Just get started!