Tips on Growling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, May 26, 2012.

1. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Do you find that you get a 'better' growl the closer you are to the note or the further you are from the note? Of course if you start moving a third, fourth or fifth away you get some neat harmonies and even 'extra notes' sounding. (anyone rememeber the name for those notes that 'appear' ?)

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I believe the clip is a very tight flutter tongue and a harmon mute with the stem in--really old school. Check out Clyde McCoy's "Sugar Blues" on Your Tube. By the way, Growling should be done without interjecting any tone into the sound, therefore no humming. Producing a polyphonic tone and doing so with growling is a whole different skill--at least that's the way I understand it and do it.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If you hum in to the horn, unless you are screaming, the audience won't hear the hum.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Once again I agree with Brekelefuw. Let your horn BE the extension of your SCREAM.

SCREAM into the FREKIN HORN!!

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    - F-R-E-A-K-I-N', DOC,F-R-E-A-K-I-N'. That's ok. I get holiday pay for that edit since I did it on Memorial day.

6. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    I can't yet manipulate the pitch at will, but yes, singing different notes will create different distortions. Tritones or out of tune notes may create interesting sounds.
    T

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There are two accepted ways to produce a growl sound on the horn. One is to flutter tongue. The more vigorious the flutter tongue the better the growl. The other is to hum while you play. The farther the pitch of the hum is from the played note and the louder it is the better the growl. I use both ways depending on the effect I want. To get really nasty use both at the same time.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    On the video of Bubber it sounds more like a plunger mute with a Pixie straight mute. This was his favorite set up. Doesn't sound like a harmon.