Tips on speeding up double-tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    At the moment I'm working on the articulation exercise too-too-too-too-tukutukutukutuku and just trying to push it a bit without tensing anything up. But I seem to be hitting a plateau. I can vocalise "tukutukutukutuku" at a decent lick, but the moment I put an embouchure on it, it slows up. Also tends to be more of a "tookutookutookutookutoo". Pretty much the same with the diggerdiggers and daggadaggas. Is it just a matter of 6 months persistence or is there a mysterious magic fix out there?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One key is getting the tongue tired each day, and this is one muscle we can exhaust without fear. Pound for pound it is the strongest muscle in our body. Feel free to bring it to the crash and burn point where it starts staggering and stuttering. The only magic trick is to let your tongue melt in your mouth the faster we go, the more relaxed it will be. One thing we want to fill in is the gap between single tonguing and multiple tonguing that many of us experience. I like going from C below the staff down the F# and back again slurred, single tongued, double tongued and triple tongued all at the same tempo. A simple exercise, but not easy!

3. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    The trick for me was to learn to k tongue. So, only do the second half of double. When I started, I couldn't double tongue at all. Now I can double and triple tongue entire Clarke exercises no problem.

Mark

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Maurice Murphy's advice was to double-tongue at every opportunity. Good point?

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Yep.. do lots of single K tonguing.. slow then gradually add speed. You want the K to be indistinguishable from the T

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Sethoflagos,
    The advice that VB gave is hard to argue with. "Let your tongue melt in your mouth the faster we go" are wise words.
    The faster you go, the looser your tongue needs to be. Mendez said "the tongue needs to flick like a rapier" You can't do that if the tongue is the slightest bit flexed.
    Dr.Mark