Tips on surviving consecutive tough days of playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Jun 29, 2012.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    It sounds like you have some good ideas. Just don't let it worry you-as several have said-have fun with it.

Your idea of laying out where you can is a start. Look for unison passages. Also, most importantly, go very easy on a warm up and try to play as softly as possible during rehearsal. Remember-the typical pit band conductor complaint is trumpets are overpowering the singers. Ease back, way back.

Also, you didn't indicate what horn you use or if you have several. Something similar happened to me a year ago aand I carried my 1502 Kanstul (Callichio clone-highly efficient) instead of my Strad.

Bet you will do fine.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tips on Surviving by gmonady... Three words:

Gin and Tonic

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Also a recipe for retirement or death.........I don't recommend alcohol as a playing tool!

Efficiency is the key to endurance.
    Never blast.....Know how loudly to play, and when to use that power.
    Posture is important. Don't slump and keep your horn out of the music stand.
    Don't use undue pressure when playing.
    Have the music in your ears and chops before the first rehearsal!
    BE PREPARED!!!!

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That is the ultimate advice by a man who has been there and done that more than anyone else.

Thank you Wilmer.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    from my parade experience yesterday on the trombone (although I'm really a trumpet player) ---- DONT OVERBLOW AND TRY TO FILL UP ALL THE SPACE ---- that will wear you out in a hurry!!!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wilmers post is the bottom line of BRAINS first!

I do not recommend changing ANYTHING (hardware, embouchure, sleep habits, eating habits) during gig season. Every change means uncertainty when things react differently. Avoid the sun - burned lips are a liability.

Preparation means pencilling in breathing marks, cues and anything that you missed more than once in rehearsal. I can only recommend NOT listening to any additional music (iPod or MP3 player) when you aren't playing. The creative side needs a break too and non-stop media only dulls the brain.

I always have water
    keep the salt and sugar minimized
    if travelling on a bus, keep the quantity of coffee down too
    never eat after 11:00 at night (not even potato chips)
    always eat a good breakfast
    always get some physical activity during the day - even if it is only 30 minutes of walking or swimming
    I keep additional playing minimized

Once this gig is done, you can reflect on what the next step could be based on what went well and what didn't

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So I am guessing you lip sinked some of the parade? KT, you should'a been in the trumpet line. Much safer... much safer... So you wound up taking one on the slide, I take it!

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    (anticipates accusations of vanity for quoting himself)

OK so last night I did exactly this trick on our R & B gig: Whenever the job demanded projection and or lots of high notes with plenty of endurance? (of course when playing TOP, BS&T and James Brown charts that's pretty much the whole evening anyway lol)

I used shallow mouthpieces. And as the evening went on and my strength was tested I went to my two most shallow pieces. The cat playing second trumpet also blew shallow equipment.

Result?

Upon listening to my G/F's I phone recording of band the unamplified trumpets were, on average, slightly louder than the P/A and guitar!

This was a three set gig too I might add. If anyone is familiar with Al Cass m/pieces the ones I used were:

3x1
    3x4 with #16 throat and second "V" cup (similar to old Parduba) i bored myself...
    3x4 standard bore
    3x5 extreme shallow with tight #27 throat
    3x6 w/ fairly open throat #24

All these mouthpiece have the same rim contour and rim dimension. This makes them easy to switch back & forth to when the occasion arrives.

Towards the beginning of the evening i stayed down in the 3x1 - 3x4 end. Still shallow but not exactly "bent dimes". As my chops opened up I shifted shallower. and on the last set most all work was done on the two "bent dimes" 3x5 and 3x6.

On the slow softer tunes I used the wide #16 throat on the 3x4. Though a shallow piece by anyone's definition it sounds like a Bach 3C and with good volume in lower register even though it plays easily like the other screamers.

Finished the gig with plenty of chops to spare. I compare the above listed procedure to club selection on the golf course..

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually it was more of a manly ego trip thing!!! -- since 2 of our bands trombonists are "out for the season" via medical reasons (ie. 1 in a car accident, 1 had a heart replumbing job) -- and the other trombone player besides me was a "walk on" substitute!! (she is a local high school student -- yeah a 90 lb teenage girl) --- I knew it was hot and humid 90 F+ and I should have just "played" nicely -- but I wanted NICE BIG TROMBONE SOUND --- I mean after all, I am all of a sudden the lone MALE trombone player, and I had my NEW Asymmetric trom mpc -- effectively a lot smaller than the other mpcs I have -----so I was ready ------------ and halfway through my lips were killing me, the heat, the breathing --- arrrghhh -- BUT OVERBLOWING AND PLAYING LOUD really did me in!!!! -- ole KT here, is not invinsible after all!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    Stephanie -- she played well, and beautiful, and was consistent throughout the parade --- I am not ashamed --she paced herself --- or more likely SHE CONCENTRATED ON PLAYING THE MUSIC EFFICIENTLY!!!! not overblowing and trying to make us 2 trombones sound like 10 --- ok we - both together -- did sound great the first half of the parade -- Stephanie sounded great the WHOLE PARADE!!!!! the moral of the story????? youth, patience, EFFICIENT PLAYING!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You should be ashame, you dirty ol putty cat. You were hoping to pass out so one said 90 lb trombone player could perform CPR on you. Saw right through that one KT.