Tips on surviving consecutive tough days of playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Look at it this way...You have 9 days and each day you play you will become so familiar with the charts that it should be effortless.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I might interject that tea has a healthy dose of caffeine (in most cases) --- albeit, most trumpet players would consume copious amounts of coffee or tea, in lieu of alchohol ---- and if you ask --- MOST people do not consider a couple of cups of java and the associated influx of caffeine into their system as "taking drugs" --- but yet caffeine is a stimulant, and uhmm dieretic also!!!
    WATER --keep hydrated!!!!! that is advice FROM a TRUMPET PLAYER, in this trumpet group - also don't overblow (FF loud) on the trumpet, if you don't have to!!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Haste2... Let us know how the gigs are going and what you are doing to make it go smoother.

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Two short tips...

1. Brush after every rehearsal and show. The mint in the toothpaste and the brush action on the inside of your lip helps get the chops back faster.
    2. Take a shower just before every show. The hot water helps to get your concentration back.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Thanks, gmonady!

I've made it through the 5 days of rehearsal far with no major problems... =D my lips feel quite tired, though, more than the previous days. I had to play lower on the mouthpiece at times to keep going.... no pain, though, fortunately. I've had history of lip pain.... I think the water bottle is helping a lot. (I haven't brought water bottles to practices/performances very often) I've been forgetting to apply ice and chopsaver, though, except one time.... I'll try to do better there.

At least the 3-3.5 hr rehearsals are over.... the show's about 2 hours, so it be easier, if anything, now.

Tomorrow is the preview, and then we've got 3 performances.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Haste2, this is great news. I think you are going to do fine as you head on into the performance. From what you told me, the only thing I can recommend to keep healthy blood flow to your lips and muscle (that will keep damaging metabolic lactic acid build up down), is to massage your lips GENTLY, during rests OR between songs. Then give your lips a 5 minute massage at the end of the rehearsal [gig].

Again, great news!

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I saw some of the comments about your post, gmonady. OF COURSE you don't use alcohol as an adjunct to playing. A gin and tonic (one of my favotites, too) after the gig sure hits the spot, though! And always remember... DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!; drink first, then drive. That way, if you get in a wreck, you don't spill any precious liquor.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There was a time in my youth, when I would keep one glass of Gin on Tonic on the stage with me (as did most other members of the trumpet section). I nursed that drink through several sets mostly to suck on the ice cubes to help me through the lead playing. Only freshened it up a bit with ice cubes, so at the end of the evening, it was basically water. Always rode the bus home with the band.

I do love a Gin and Tonic though for special occasions (no longer when I am playing the trumpet). It is a fine drink. As I do recall, there is an Amendment to our Constitution that gives Americans this right. As a physician I wrestle with this one, as there are many that cannot drink responsibly. My heart goes out to them, and I provide compassionate care to them when they become my patient, and I try to ease their suffering as they die from their Constitutional right to drink.

I no longer have performance anxiety when I play. Many years of playing, hours upon hours a day, the ability to control my tone and accuracy has led to a self confidence that is truly gratifying. Others may not have gotten to this stage yet, and if the anxiety starts effecting the quality of play, I hope they choose responsibly the many options that are out there to help them work through this feeling, because giving the best performance you possibly can comes about from listening, hearing and understanding the surroundings you are in with your ensemble and audience. If you fail at doing this, your performance will be less than optimal.

I never drive after I drink during the rare occasion when I exercise my Constitutional Rights, because these Rights are my Rights, as long as they do not interfere with the Rights of others.

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I would think that, to an alcoholic, the flow of alcohol takes priority over the possibility of a car collision and the flow of a liquid more precious than alcohol that all too often is associated with such a misfortune.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course, some may disagree, but I don't think a warm shower will constitute a warm up (as some others have inferred in the past) --- so when you get the concentration going --- be sure to do some long soft lips slurs or something to get the blood flowing in the lips --- OF COURSE, many a professional will say you don't need a warmup for your lips ---- but I suggest a short warmup -- CAN'T hurt you any ---(IMHO)