Tips on surviving consecutive tough days of playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    9 days completed. Success! Hardly any lip trouble overall. Now all that remains is the 3 performances/week for the next three weeks. Goal: improve musicality and ensemble skills....

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and you were worried -- all for nothing!!! -- keep up the good job, and the work ethic --- play and be happy

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

Haste2... Now that you have this unique endurance experience, can you give a brief outline as to what you think worked for you. I am sure we can all learn from this.

ALSO if you can get any audio or YouTube recordings of sections of the event to post, this would be oh so cool!

Again, Congratulations

4. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I wouldn't consider it much of an accomplishment, because of point 1 that I have made.... however, I'm still proud of myself considering how little I layed off. If I was doing first, I would have had to lay off quite a bit.

1)Ended up swapping parts for 2nd trumpet, mostly, except for 4 or 5 numbers. =P I started doing that on the 5th day.
    2)I played short routines every other day... not much real practice. Time for me to pick up the good practice sessions again now that the playing streak is over.
    3)The lip massaging seemed to help.
    4)Sipped water like crazy. I'd go through a water bottle that holds nearly a liter each performance.
    5)Focused on relaxation.... not always easy to do. What was important for me was that it was better for me to miss a mute change than to mash my lips with the trumpet by switching mutes too quickly.

I can't record the show in any way, unfortunately.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This sounds like a prescription for success. Glad my massage recommendation worked. I use it a lot to survive my high energy quintet for those four hour gigs.

6. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    4 hour quintet gig?! Wow, the world demands a lot from brass players....

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know and from what we've been through and have posted, perhaps others can benefit. Great Thread you started Haste2, and am so excited for you with this set of gigs you just completed... who knows.... this kind of stuff leads to more, and now you know you ar ready!

8. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    chap stick when you go to bed.