Tired chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    I've been playing a lot lately. Tonight my chops are tired, especially my top lip. I think I will put the horn away until tomorrow.

One question (because what good would a thread be without a question), should the tiredness be more evenly spread out between the top and bottom lips? When I play I really feel the vibration from my top lip and I can feel that part of my lip now. Should I be looking at my technique?

I hope this makes sense. :dontknow:

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    With your question I wonder how much pressure you are using. You don't mention anything about how your corners feel. I find that the corners will feel it long before the lip.

3. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    My corners feel tired when I go to play for sure but my lip feels tired after I put the horn down.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I wish I could remember who posted this but it is a golden nugget
    When you feel you can't articulate cleanly or attack it's time to rest.

I would guess you are pushing past that point and using pressure instead or your corners.. hence the sore lip

5. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    I think I see what you are saying, I need to build up the muscles in the corner of my mouth and not compensate with pressure?

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It's hard to trying to make suggestions online... but yes that was my 2 cents.
    I have just started playing (almost 2 months now) after not playing for 20+ years and I over practiced a few times.. not fun ... so I went back to resting alot... much better ... and faster improvement as well.
    I am sure there will be more post on this .. by some really great players

7. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    What you have said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I love your signature! Mind if I steal it? :lol:

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    lolol.. not at all ... trade 'em ..collective 'em

9. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I've noticed that as tired I got, my upper notes came out with much more ease and effortlessness (with MUCH better tone than my usual), but that was at the cost of the corners giving out very quickly.

I was thinking I had to build the corners up more significantly and then I could somehow train myself to play as if I was very tired. (Effortlessness) Because when I'm tired and I force the high notes even a little bit, they don't come out. And in middle of rehearsal of Tchaikovsky's Slav March on 1st Tromba, I had to play... so I made it effortless (even if I had to skip a note here and there to relax my corners)... Hmm... interesting original question

10. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    I found this video on You Tube