Tired chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    You should probably be supporting with air more than you are. I, with the help of my new teacher, am trying to move from killing my face (not lips, my face), to using the bigger muscles, which should do the real work.

As to whether the tiredness should be spread out between your top and bottom lip, I don't think it matters, depending on your style, but you should be taking the brunt of the strain on the muscles around your mouth which support your embouchure, not form it. If you are using too much pressure, you will feel extreme fatigue in your lips, and forming an embouchure later in the day will be painful, a way that I like to test this, is by swapping from my trumpet to my cornet, if the cornet feels uncomfortable on my lips, I was using too much pressure.

Do you have a teacher?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

It could'a been me. Here is what I said and my recommendation on a similar thread:

Another thing about muscle is as you fatigue the muscle, damage begins to set in. When do you fatigue? The time it takes to fatigue is different for different people, but the symptom you are looking for is the BEGINNING of loss of control to accurately attack a note. When you feel that this is happening, stop and rest. If you catch this early, then take 30 minutes or so to break and then come back and try it again with a goal to do the next session in 50-75% of the time or endurance as the previous level.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, pain is a later sign and if swelling also is noted, this suggests a tear or injury. If this would involve your ankle, we would call it a sprain. With the ankle we rest it, ice it, compress (brace) it, and raise it [RICE]. For the lips I would leave out the compress, and lips are already above the level of the heart, so that leaves rest and ice. Rest and ice will help.

Please note: Don't ice very long, as ice itself can cause a tissue burn. How long should you ice? Until the pain remitts. You can cause a nasty ice burn on arms an legs within 20 minutes of using ice. I would imagine with the lips you could do this in less time. So I would only ice for just several minutes than stop icing after several minutes if the pain remains.

4. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    Funny that you say that, I just picked up a cornet today!

No I don't have a teacher. I tried with two different schools here and lets just say it didn't go well.

5. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Try the pencil tequnique.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When we start to tire,most of us will start using more and more pressure. Ideally we shouldn't do this, but if we do,the pressure should be applied to the bottom lip, not the top lip.

Practice softly, playing too loud will tire your lips faster than anything else. Practicing soft long tones and lip flexibilities ,will do more for building tone and endurance ,than playing the same things loud.Even when performing you should never play beyond 80% of your top volume.