Tired for auditions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    This week for my marching band is band camp week and we play about 4 hours everyday and the last of camp is friday, then the following sunday I have an audition for the Indianapolis Youth Wind Ensemble. My teacher tells me I would be competing for probably first or second chair in there and am worried that I would be tired after the long week of band camp. My teacher tells me it's a bad idea to admit 'defeat' or tiredness and it's a perfect opportunity to learn to use my air efficiently and do the audition. In the past I could play fine the day after long weeks like this but 2 days after I was completely shot. How do I increase my air efficiency on a lead marching band spot? Because especially this year it is a loud and high show. I realize I can't perfect it on my own in a week, I get to see my teacher once a week, but what should I do? My teacher tells me to relax, take a deep breath from my lower stomach area and release air, not force it. Maybe I am just not a good visualizer and am doing it wrong, but what do you guys suggest?

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    How do people get tired if you've got 12+ hours for a break period? For a good amount of that time, you're sleeping. I don't understand this one bit. I've been there, I've played for hours on end for weeks at a time yet I never have any trouble when I get up in the morning.

To me, it's all psychological, or you're doing something completely wrong. Support with the air, not the lips.

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Must be nice...

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Play with less mouthpiece pressure,if you can't recoup after a day off, your using way too much pressure, even though you might not think so. Practicing trumpet should be a workout for your breathing, embouchure and fingers, not your arms.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Myshilohmy,
    I suggest that you take the audition and starting immediately do not blast one single note. Remember to take those big breaths. Control needs to be the name of the game this week.

Forget about any fixes for your playing. They are measured in MONTHS not days. Keep everything the same just a notch less loud.

On Saturday do NOT take a day off. Play about an hour (2x 30 minutes with a break in between) of low impact great sounding tunes as softly as you can. I'll recommend the Hymnbook as the tunes are all in the right range to sound great and not waste your face. If you have anything else similar, that is OK too.

Do not go into the audition with an excuse that you had a tough week. Go in there with the credentials of being a lead player. Play your heart out!

DON'T TRY AND CHANGE ANYTHING WITH YOUR AIR OR CHOPS. IT WILL BACKFIRE!

6. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I suppose an Aleve or Nuprin wouldn't hurt either to help the muscles in my face? I rarely use that because it seems kind of like cheating to me and don't want to become dependent on them when I am tired, but I want to perform my best.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Aleve:
    Aleve Information from Drugs.com
    Nuprin:
    Nuprin (ibuprofen) medical facts from Drugs.com

I am not sure that it makes sense to take drugs to fight normal body functions. It does not help you "regenerate" faster than enough sleep and proper care of the body does.

I am against stuff like this. We always find out YEARS after medicine has been introduced what REAL side effects they have.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    It's not a good idea to habitually use pain relievers to get through rehearsals, however...I admit that I've had times that my chops were puffy (from too much playing, bad breathing, a knock to the lips, whatever), and I knew that a couple Aleve would get rid of it enough that I could get along ok. BUT...I also know how my chops and body react to things. I know that puffy chops effect my upper register and that I don't have any weird side effects from pain killers, so in those rare situations, I'm comfortable with doing that. If you don't know those things for yourself, I wouldn't suggest trying it before an audition.

As for ways to get through a tough week...

Don't overblow, ever!
    Keep breathing and drink lots of water.
    If you can rest a little now and then do it, but don't baby your chops. Just play within yourself.
    On your day off, practice in several short sessions, and keep breathing!

In general, play your best every time you pick up the horn this week, and your chances of playing well on sunday will be the best they can be.