Tired from long tones.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of long tones lately, getting used to a new mp and trumpet ..... but, they are sometimes making me tired. Actually, sleepy. Any ideas as to what is happening here??? Nothing else, trumpet related, does this to me. Something with my air???:dontknow:

Help. :-(

Turtle

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Long tones can be boring at times. I usually have a crossword puzzle or my iPad on the stand when warming up and/or doing Clarke studies. It could be as simple as that?

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    No, it's a physical thing. I often have music playing, the radio or CDs, while I'm doing long tones, and I don't find it boring. There are just moments when waves of tiredness hit me. I can't figure out why.

Turtle

4. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Could just be that in playing long tones, you are doing deep breathing and controlled exhales. This tends to work a lot like meditation and it's just relaxing you too much. Kind of like an extended yawn. Try some backflips or jogging in place between sets of long tones:lol: Just kidding. Don't have a serious solution.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

Yeah, maybe it's Turtle specific.

I should point out that where it's happening is with very long tones ... I'm not reading warmup stuff, where the long tones are a few measures. I'm holding these tones out for sometimes 45 seconds to a minute.

I can't help but think it's some air problem .... lack of oxygen, or maybe too much stale air at times. At a loss here.

Turtle

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    To be honest, I'm not ruling out simple boredom.

I fell asleep once in the middle of a song, in a cafe that was empty, during my 2 hour set on Saturdays, from sheer boredom. Or rather, I nodded off and came to ... during the song, kind of like when you're driving, and you suddenly notice that you've "nodded off". There was nobody in the cafe but the cooks. I asked them how the song sounded .... fine. I didn't miss any words .... no. :roll:

Maybe my brain is trying to tell me something .... like, "enough with the long tones, already". :dontknow:

Turtle

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. Edwindle

Edwindle New Friend

Mar 22, 2012
    It's probably from lack or oxygen to the brain. Maybe try 20 seconds of deep breathing between notes?

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Forget the long tones and do soft Long Tone Lip Slurs. Same benefits without the stiffening effect on the embouchure. And not as tedious.
    Sleepy, drink lots of coffee, as Claude Gordon always did.
    > chest up
    > big comfortable breath taken thru the mouth
    > hold the last note until all the air gone, and longer
    > rest as long as you play

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well, there's something Claude Gordon and I have in common ... coffee. :lol:

Thank you, Ultratrumpet, that's sensible. I'm going to give that a try. (and I don't think I've been resting enough)

Turtle