Tired from long tones.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    I'm playing long tones reading this thread :D

Steve

turtlejimmy likes this.
  2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It is a natural physiological response. Too much CO2 building up. You need to take some brief breaks in between exercises with deep sighs to replenish the O2. You'll be fine. Very good personal observation.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think you might also find that "variations" in the long tone regimen will aid you greatly in staying awake. I do "siren" long tones on some days, going from ppp to FFF, and back to ppp as long as I can on one breath per note. I think this regimen causes ME to inhale more, or breath differently, and it seems to prevent the onset of sleepiness!!! it is quite a lip workout also!!!

4. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    You're not the only one! If you are truely bored with something don't keep doing it. Instead of long tones I play very long powerful ballads because they won't get annoying for me (be sure to not blat of overdue them..or the point of playing them is lost in a way). I've found that when you start getting bored with something you generaly stop progressing as fast. A player can do long tones for hours and get little out of it because it has become a annoying "job" for them. Mental drive is really important for people to improve on anything!

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That sounds like a good idea. What are some of your favorite ballads for this?

Turtle

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Have you noticed others around you going to sleep when you play ?

turtlejimmy likes this.
  7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    When my wife is tossing and turning, she wakes me up and asks me to play some long tones for her.

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    We should get a group together and play long chords.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well .... Yes, now that you mention it, people do seem to be falling asleep around my long tones lately.

Do you think that's a sign that I should move on to another note? :dontknow:

Turtle

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I'm torn between listening to an Amway presentation or trumpet 45 second long tones.