Tired from long tones.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Ok...ok....enough. It's almost midnight here and we need to go to sleep. Psssst Jimmy, could you play us a long tone goodnight.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Sure, how about a nice Eb? (I like that note:-))

Turtle

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
  4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Far better to be somewhat out of shape than to suffer from over trained chops. Having flat chops from lack of practice is only the result of sloth and procrastination. Over training is a form of self torture/persecution. who needs it? Completely avoidable.

Again: one of the main benefits of developing good technique on the shallow mouthpieces is that you can kind of "ride" them. Playing with great endurance and staying well short of over training.

In fact the only times I'll put in the long long practice hours is for those classical gigs requiring larger mouthpieces and much flexibility.

5. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I don't understand how one can read an Ipod ,read threads etc when doing Long tones..the mind must be wandering with lack of focus or may be I am just a simple folk.

Doing Long tones is one of my favorite times of the whole trumpet practice regime. This is the time I can really feel how my chops are feeling (doing) check how my breathing, sound,etc, and trying to focus on the minute things that will make a difference in my playing and adjust accordingly , feel how my body reacts ,try to remember this until it becomes a unconscious memory in general playing.

I think that Long Tones requires total concentration to get your body and mind as one

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I know they may both appear slow to the human eye, but there are worlds of difference between a turtle and a sloth. :lol: (I can beat a sloth with one claw tied behind my shell).

Sloth and procrastination are the least of my problems. I tend to practice a lot and with trumpet, that's often too much. The other instruments I play don't have these physical limitations, and I can practice them for many hours at a time (guitar, drums, voice). When I try to apply this to trumpet, I end up with either a beat up face, or I'm falling asleep. :dontknow:

Turtle

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm the champ when it comes to coffee. The competition is 10 oz of coffee in the cup, add what you like, go as often as you need to, and when the first one quits the number of cups are counted. As I type this, I'm finishing a cup and about to pour another. Too, there is a fresh pot percolating. Oh yes, I drink mine black.

8. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Well I am also in a choir so sometimes I will take the melody out of a slow piece that we are cleaning up for a state performace or something and play it as long tone practice... But I've enjoyed playing "music of the night" lately (from phantom of the opera). Its a great slow piece that has to played beautifuly and controlled or else it sounds like poo. I also take songs from my state's group 1 trumpet solo list and play the slow parts in the selections I own or can find. That way i'm getting alittle longtones in my playing along with some theory, sight reading practice and all that good stuff...Another plus is it isn't boring whole note longtones/ lip slirs. It's not the way EVERYONE should go probably, but it works for me...

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Allen Vizzutti cautioned against doing this. You did not listen to the Allen. When you do not listen to the Allen... you pay the price. This is EXACTLY what he said happens to many when they play long tones. Too bad you were not able to make it to the Dayton Trumpet Hang where he discussed endurance in one of our work shops.

10. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    One aspect that has not been brought up is your physical health, of course your issue could be what has already been mentioned here, however do not ignore your physical health................

Are you getting enough sleep? might you be showing small signs of sleep apnea? hows your heart rate, blood pressure etc.....

We often ignore those small signs in everyday life that can lead to serious health issues in the future...............

Then again you may physically fit on the outside, but it's the inside that counts in any activity...........

Just a thought on my part.............. some of the suggestions mentened may help which I hope they do..............

Just don't ignore yourself for the sake of a long tone...............