Tired from long tones.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I did not listen to the Allen and I paid the price. :-(

No, I don't think I have sleep apnea .... Dozing off in the cafe was, trust me, pure boredom. Getting sleepy doing long long tones is pretty easy to figure out, with all the good advice in this thread.

a) Boredom
    b) Doing these long tones one after another (with no rest) .... oxygen deprivation
    c) CO2 buildup

Cure: Stop doing long tones
    Alternate cure: Stop doing them one after another
    Alternate cure #2: Adopt a soft volume, slur-filled, long tone alternative

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I have the same problem It's like driving on a long trip.

Something that helps is to set a metronome and play your long tones in spaced out sections. Record a long tone and rest an equal amount. The next day play it back and play during the spaces. It gives you the opportunity to rest and listen to your playing.

I have my readers doing the same idea with learning to play Pedal Tones.

Check it out at......

Join HI-YR-BY-A-THIRD today! Material on page 12 only | The Trumpet Blog

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good point, 'cause if you (we) ignore these things, long tones become "so-long" tones.:lol:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This one is Key... and it really works for me!

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I'm already spaced out. :woop:

If I get into one of those sections, it could be "Bye Bye Turtle". :huh:

Turtle

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey, did you ever try -- pumping up the volume on long tones???? instead of playing ppp -- bump it up to FF. I am not sure all those "cats" who always play things soft are on the straight and narrow. yes, yes, yes, I know Cat Andersone, Keith Fiala, and others --- and yes KT for a long time has been doing long tones ppp. Anyways last night (I was a bit tired from my day off at work --- a day where I did very very little to improve this vast world) -- but being tired, I just bumped up the volume on long notes ---OK, I was also trying to get my High A to come back in smooth -- where it was last summer.

anyways --- I woke myself up, grabbing lots of oxygen, I suspect --and the long tones actually became a bit of a challene at increased volume ---- the down side of that was --- I could only practice about 45 minutes before the high range disappeared!!!! but I feel good today, and the lips feel good -- of course they will need a soft practice session tonight.
    variety is the spice of life -- so TJ, spice those long tones up a bit!!! of course eating jalapeno peppers gives me hiccups, and I suppose that is for another thread ---"when I get hiccups, how do I stilll play?" ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Hey, hold on a minute. Are all of you assuming that long tones mean that they are played at ppp? I've never heard of players being limited to that in their development.
    Don't any of you play long tones crescendoing from ppp to fff and back, or from fff to ppp and back? Only blasstissimo and only pianissimo? Don't you mix your volumes up? What's the practical application if you play them at only one volume?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually "siren" long tones was one of my earlier posts. Where I do go from ppp to FF and back to PPP -- and hold each note as long as I can on a breath. I call them "siren" long tones as I copied that method from Keith Fiala (so even though I mentioned he plays ppp -- a lot of times even the pros do variable long tone exercises and not just pps) --- sorry for the confusion

it is post #13 --

I think you might also find that "variations" in the long tone regimen will aid you greatly in staying awake. I do "siren" long tones on some days, going from ppp to FFF, and back to ppp as long as I can on one breath per note. I think this regimen causes ME to inhale more, or breath differently, and it seems to prevent the onset of sleepiness!!! it is quite a lip workout also!!!

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Mix up the volume! Mix up the volume! (I think there's a song in there)

I'm going to give blasstissimo a try and see if I can't wake myself up along with the neighborhood. :lol:

Turtle

10. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Since I quit doing long tones, my progress has accelerated. Multi-octave arpegios, scales and octave jumps using all tonguing and slurring helps me alot. But hey, long tone away if it's working for you. Is it?